ad: elecraft

Should I Join the ARRL?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK7HH, Apr 9, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. K6VOX

K6VOX Ham Member QRZ Page

or just not move to one in the first place...

KO4ESA likes this.
  2. KQ8W

KQ8W Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed. I will likely be moving into an HOA soon, but knowing the restrictions is part of the decision. I'm not a fan of banning HOAs nor am I a fan of having them everywhere. Having the choice for each owner is the best option.

KO4ESA, KY4GD and K6VOX like this.
  3. KK4MHI

KK4MHI Ham Member QRZ Page

That's weird. I deployed to Bosnia and was in one of the first tanks to cross the Sava into Bosnia in December 1995 to stop the war.
    Was there for an entire year, and then some of us got extended to stay for an additional 6 months thanks to the 82nd failing their deployment readiness exercise.
    Never heard this of this mysterious "Bosnia-bound" AM unit before.
    I know AFRTS had an FM station going eventually towards the end, but I was too damn busy outside the wire to listen to it much. I think the DFAC had it playing on an old boombox.
    It wasn't until Kosovo in '99 that we got our "AFRTS satellite TV" game up and running and afterwards most of Camp Monteith looked like a trailer park with all the satellite dishes hanging off all the buildings.
    Later, in Kuwait we figured out how to run 13 different AFRTS satellite decoders off a single big dish and then use a transverter to put the signal on regular coax cables running into all our CHUs so folks could just hook up a regular TV and hit the SCAN function to auto-tune in all 13 AFRTS satellite channels without having to have a separate dish/decoder combo for each CHU.
    We spent thousands and thousands of tax dollars on that system because some General said we looked like a trailer park.

KO4ESA, WA3VJB and AA5BK like this.
  4. AA5BK

AA5BK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Access to technical materials was my primary reason for joining. After exploring the website and discovering just what the ARRL does, it has become clear the price of membership is a bargain.

KO4ESA likes this.
  5. WW5F

WW5F Ham Member QRZ Page

When I was in England as G0GZH, I was a member of the RSGB. When I left, I quit paying my dues.

When I was in Korea as HL9GN and later when I was in Greece as SV0JG, I wasn't aware of any national organizations to join. I would have if I could have.

When I was in Bosnia-Herzegovina, well, I wasn't there very long and I had other higher priorities to deal with at the time.

Here in the states, I'm a member of the ARRL.

life-mem-low.jpg

No, there's no reason for someone outside the US to join the ARRL, ... UNLESS ... you just want a subscription to QST. (Edit: and access to all previous QSTs.)

6. KM4FVI

KM4FVI Ham Member QRZ Page

No, but it’s a personal choice!

W3SLK likes this.
  7. KA4FIX

KA4FIX Ham Member QRZ Page

YES, and you are right - it’s a personal choice.