ad: elecraft

Should I Join the ARRL?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK7HH, Apr 9, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VK7HH

VK7HH Ham Member QRZ Page

In this video I ask, should I, or indeed you, join the American Radio Relay League, the ARRL? What membership options are there, especially for international amateur radio operators such as myself?

Are you a member? If so, how long have you been so and what do you enjoy about it? If not, what's holding you back from signing up? Can you see improvements that can be made?

K1LKP likes this.
  2. AA6RH

AA6RH Ham Member QRZ Page

I would think that, if you're not a U.S.-based ham, there's not much advocacy on your behalf via the ARRL. Not that its sole purpose is to lobby the FCC, but that is part of its role, certainly. I am not aware that they spend a lot of time (if any) working amateur radio policy beyond the U.S. borders.

KO4ESA and VK7HH like this.
  3. N3VEZ

N3VEZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm a member and I think it is worthwhile. Who else is going to protect our share of the radio spectrum. Remember, the government owns it. We don't.

KO4ESA, VK7HH, W9FL and 1 other person like this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I see no reason why a VK7 --needs-- to join the ARRL. It is an American organization. OTOH, you may WANT to join the ARRL because of the benefits , such as awards(as one example).

The ARRL has always welcomed members from outside the US.

Chip W1YW

KO4ESA, VK7HH and K0UO like this.
  5. K5BYN

K5BYN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

it would make it better if all were members , it would gain qso's on our log books, i understand those out side the USA it's free

KO4ESA likes this.
  6. KB2SMS

KB2SMS Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm a member and have been since I got my ticket in November of 1994. What other organization do we have to represent us? I don't agree with everything they do but that goes with just about anything in life. IF you don't agree with something they say or do, TELL THEM.

KO4ESA and W9FL like this.
  7. VK7HH

VK7HH Ham Member QRZ Page

This is it.
    The more we support the ARRL/RSGB/WIA whoever it may be, the more easier it is for them to represent amateur radio going forward

KO4ESA and KC5FM like this.
  8. K8PG

K8PG QRZ Lifetime Member #333 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Yes.

Paul K8PG

KO4ESA likes this.
  9. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

YES

KO4ESA likes this.
  10. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes.

And Ban the HOA.

11. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

KO4ESA and AA5BK like this.
  12. KC5FM

KC5FM Ham Member QRZ Page

The point is made that the ARRL represents USA amateur radio interests, and while that is true, members from other Nations join the League for the technical material available.

Also, the LEAGUE ... the National Association for Amateur Radio ... is the only organization in the USA with a seat at the International Amateur Radio Union. What happens at IARU meetings can impact what happens with the Federal Communications Commission, because of international treaties. Therefore, the League spends time "working amateur radio policy" outside the USA.

Some international members may join ARRL because their member chair is absent from the IARU table. The League representation then is better than nothing.

Your membership in the League is important, both domestically and internationally. After all, airline tickets are not cheap.

KO4ESA and AA5BK like this.
  13. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Responding to part of your question, highlighted above.
    There's not much in it for you to join the ARRL from outside North America, seems to me.

Your country has its own association, the Wireless Institute of Australia, whose efforts are directed to Australian licensees. And when it comes to international representation, the same WIA is the club selected to contribute to the hobbyist group, the International Amateur Radio Union. You are probably aware that the volunteers who participate in the IARU make non-binding suggestions to a United Nations group, the International Telecommunications Union, which may or may not make its own policy with your country's radio hobbyists in mind.

One area to explore is whether the WIA adequately monitors and participates in your federal regulatory agency that governs your licensed Amateur Radio. The ARRL, with input from U.S. subscribers, often follows the sentiments expressed by licensees to improve upon how our allocations are governed. If the WIA has only a minor role interacting with your Australian regulators, and leaves it up to active, concerned licensees to lobby for regulatory changes, then studying the U.S. system might be worth your while through the ARRL's regulatory and political framework employed in the U.S.

Take what translates to Australia's system, and your efforts could be streamlined and more effective with your government agency.

Hope helpful

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    KO4ESA likes this.
  14. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

THANK YOU PAUL,
    WA3VJB BULLETIN.jpg

73 - K1LKP

KO4ESA and WA3VJB like this.
  15. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

25 years ago !!! The expanded AM Broadcast Band was still a novelty, and to find a strong signal up there was quite a thrill. To track down the station and get ourselves invited to be on the air was just outstanding.

Thanks for the flashback K1LKP. Your posting is mismatched with the original thread, but I appreciate that you took the time to say something.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    KO4ESA and K1LKP like this.