Should I change my Call?? CW DX only pse

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by VK2ICJ, Jul 1, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

IMO, the callsign makes no difference to a good op. :)

vy 73 es gl,
    Bryan WA7PRC

NN4RH, WB5YUZ, W5BIB and 1 other person like this.
  2. VK2ICJ

VK2ICJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Probably tells heaps about my ability hi hi

3. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Like most, I started out slow & shaky. I got faster & better. My snow skiing was the same... and then, the knees ended it. Thankfully, Morse isn't like the latter. :p

VK2BY and K8PG like this.
  4. N1NA

N1NA Subscriber QRZ Page

I blundered into a great CW call when I upgraded to extra in 1977 (I think that was the year). The first "N" prefix in our radio club.
    A lot of snide remarks on our repeater in Rhode Island, with the "N" call, "bootlegger" etc. However it just rolled out like music on CW, took the German WAE contest award for North America.

Back then I always used correct phonetics but just for the heck of it, in a pile-up, I deviated from November Alpha, on my suffix and tried "North America". Wow, worked great.

I really hope you win in the next ballot, 73s Chuck

5. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's a good callsign. I remember when a guy in our town got a N4 1x3 call. I think it was sequential. He took a lot of ribbing about it being an 'airplane call'. :)
    Nobody thinks that way anymore.

6. VK2ICJ

VK2ICJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I also hold a US Callsign N9VKC when I first got it (early 90's) one of the old timers said that originally only US Navy stations had N call previously. I'm not sure of the validity of that statement but you just reminded me of that coversation 26 years ago.

7. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

My first call was N2HIE. Talk about a crappy CW call, with all those dits strung together!

KP4SX likes this.
  8. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

That's correct, Navy and Coast Guard Ships had 4 letter calls beginning with N, (NRUI, for example, was the call of the Coast Guard cutter Itasca, the guard plane for the ill-fated Earhart around-the-world flight) and shore stations had three letter calls beginning with N (NMO, NMC, etc.).

VK2ICJ likes this.
  9. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

10. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I think OI is better.