Should General/Conditional Class licensed prior to November 1968 be 'grandfathered' to Extra Class?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W2AI, Jan 16, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

5O years ago, there was a provision in Part 97 for anyone licensed as U.S. amateur radio operator PRIOR to May 1917 be 'grandfathered' to Amateur Extra if currently licensed by the FCC. With the passage of time, this provision was stricken and removed from Part 97 as obsolete.

Given the fact that CURRENT General, Conditional (merged into General Class) and Advanced (old class A) Class, WHO were licensed in those three operating classes prior to November 1968 had full operating privileges prior to November 1968: It might be fitting to restore their FULL operating privileges given the fact of their longevity (50 plus years) in the hobby by 'grandfathering' them to Amateur Extra.

It would be difficult for one to claim credit for this as U.S. Radio Callbooks didn't start listing Class of licenses until the Fall 1967 edition and the FCC archives for amateur radio licenses does not contain any licensing records prior to 1964

2. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's probably sufficient argument against the idea... by the time you did all of the detective work to "prove" that you were licensed prior to the cutoff, you could have just done the little bit of study to (re-)upgrade to Extra under the current rules.

KE5OFJ, K9CPO, NL7W and 7 others like this.
  3. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This provision required that the person hold a current valid General or Advanced license. Only the upgrade to Extra was "free".

Some years back, QCWA proposed exactly that to FCC. FCC said no.

All that would be needed would be a page from the 1967-68 Callbooks, or an old license.

KA4DPO, WA9JOQ, N5AL and 1 other person like this.
  4. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

How outrageous! Absolutely not!! They should be Great-Grandfathered! :)

WS4JM, N8ZL, K4PIH and 6 others like this.
  5. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

No. Sorry.

6. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Another "solution" in search of a problem

K9FV, K8HIT, W9FL and 11 others like this.
  7. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Should General/Conditional Class licensed prior to November 1968 be 'grandfathered' to Extra Class?

If they haven't yet upgraded after all these years they either don't care about it at all or are completely hopeless!!
    LicBoxTop2.jpg

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    K0UO, W4IOA, W1TRY and 8 others like this.
  8. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

As one, it makes no sense. Anyone, including me (licensed since 1961) can read and understand any of a myriad Q&A Extra license manuals and upgrade if they want to do so. In my case, I have read and understand everything therein. It's not important or worth the effort to me so why should the FCC give me something I neither want, care about or need? Just because I'm old??

K9FV, K8HIT, N6HCM and 3 others like this.
  9. W2AI

Most likely, those in that category are inactive "paper license" hams. You'd be surprised there are quite a few Technicians licensed in the 50s and 60s who never upgraded even when the opportunity was presented for them to administratively upgrade to General Class if licensed prior to March 1987. Yet, they remained radio amateurs on paper.

10. W2AI

upload_2019-1-16_17-45-25.png

K8PG and N9LYA like this.