Should amatuer radio operators have to pass a backround checks

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by KB2CRK, Sep 13, 2010.

?

backround check for licensees?

1. Yes

19 vote(s)
    29.7%
  2. No

40 vote(s)
    62.5%
  3. Only if they are found to break the rules.

3 vote(s)
    4.7%
  4. Only if they fail thier drug screening.

2 vote(s)
    3.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

Charles, this is all correct but I don't get what your point is.

An applicant needs an FRN so the question becomes: Who can get an FRN? I think the answer is anyone can.

Go to https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/coresWeb/regEntityType.do

Select Individual to the first question and No to the second question and hit Submit. That's how a foreigner gets an FRN. If you don't have an SSN, you select "The individual is foreign" in the dropdown.

I think the fact that most people give the VE their SSN is just a convenience so that they don't have to register and get an FRN first.

Someone can comment with more authority if they have first hand experience but I think it's quite possible for a non-resident foreigner to fill in that form, get an FRN, take that to a VE session, pass the exam and get a US license. I'm not even sure that they need a US address. I think there are some VE sessions held outside the US so it might even be possible to get a US license without ever visiting the country at all.

Cheers
    Ross

2. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Ross for your insight.

My Best,

3. K3DAV

K3DAV Ham Member QRZ Page

OMG! You must be very young. At least you sound it. This is my last reply on this subject since you took it way off topic. You don't have to blow up a plane to bring it down. Both Chlorine and Ammonia can look like flavored water in a bottle. Both have about the same very very pale yellow color. A 16 oz bottle of each mixed together makes enough mustard gas to kill every person on the plane, including the pilots after it goes through the air recycling system. And you don't need a lab. And there are several other colorless liquids that could do as much or more damage without the need for a chem lab.

The rest was too funny to reply to. As I said before. I am sorry if you feel inconvenienced by these measures, no matter how good or bad they are. But since they were fully implemented, there hasn't been anymore hijackings or bombings of passenger jets over American soil. And I doubt that the terrorists have just decided to stop trying to kill us.

So let's both just stop here and let this thread go back to the simple easy question it started out as. Remember? It was about requiring a simple basic background check to get an amateur radio license.

4. KB2CRK

KB2CRK Ham Member QRZ Page

and back on topic we go

5. KB2CRK

lets please keep the politics out of this survey.

6. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Passing and maintaining a secret clearance says a lot for the character of the person holding that clearance.

7. KB2CRK

i do beleive that i have asked to keep the politics out of here sue.
    it is amazing how you and some others ignore the rules and get away with it.
    it says a lot for someones character when the tell the truth about things also sue. i know there are a favored few here but i started this thread for a serious dialog and you and some others want to make it political.
    enough is enough already.

8. KD5RKO

KD5RKO Ham Member QRZ Page

Really? .....

People are complaining about the mere idea of having to show a driver's license in order to vote, because they think that hampers citizens rights, but someone else thinks it's a great idea to have background checks for a ham license?

So what's the next step, have the FCC cull through their database and go through records of every licensee, and terminate privelages on any who have ever had a felony conviction? That would make the requirements for being a ham way more stringent than being a voter, and there are not enough people doing that (voting).

Ridiculous

9. KG4CGC

KG4CGC Ham Member QRZ Page

At the very least there should be random drug testing for Amateurs. Then consider that Amateurs have a special skill set that puts them in a position to be just a little more dangerous than Joe Six-Pack. Knowledge of electronics, in an uncontrolled environment, ie: hamshack, garage environment, leads to experimentation. Experimentation in remote controlled devices. Devices that can be used as detonators. Do you see why it is so important that we make sure that this knowledge isn't just out there willy nilly? Right now anyone can access that knowledge and that makes it even more dangerous.

Perhaps after a background check, testing should be secretive, like at an undisclosed location before an FCC examiner.

10. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

This thread has run its course. Time to move on.

............Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.