Shortwave Station List? A *current* one?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KK5JY, Sep 3, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. OH2BEG

OH2BEG Ham Member QRZ Page

2. N4MTB

N4MTB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There is not as much to listen to in English, unless your looking for some inspiration...Since I've been listening again recently my Spanish is improving greatly!

KK5JY likes this.
  3. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think I'm mostly looking for two different kinds of predictable stations.

First, strong signals, regardless of language. I don't mind listening to a foreign language, and I don't mind listening to a station that is weak, but both together is too much of a challenge. :)

Second are the foreign equivalents to WWV -- stations whose service is data, either instead of or in addition to voice information.

I like experimenting with simple analog circuits, and also DSP techniques, and both types of stations are good for that kind of kit-based activity.

4. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

China radio international is on 9590 KHZ in the evenings. Good strong signal. There is another Chinese or Korean station on around 10:30 EDT on 6530 KHZ, I think. Also usually strong signals.

KK5JY likes this.
  5. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

There are a bunch of bible beater stations all over the dial between 5 and 8 MHZ almost every evening.

6. KD4IEM

KD4IEM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I use EiBi text based shortwave listing. It is issued twice a year and has always been up to date in my experience.
    It can be picked up here... http://www.eibispace.de/ .

KK5JY likes this.
  7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Or more like 50-100 if you understand a variety of foreign languages.

I have a SW BC station up the street from me (unfortunately, that's literally). KVOH, the "Voice of Hope," which is in Spanish since their audience is mostly the Caribbean islands and northern South America. They transmit with 1.25 million watts e.r.p. on both 18m and 31m. I've visited the station several times over the years, and they get SWL reports from Africa and all over the place, although that's not their intended audience.

Not so many "Stateside" SW-BC stations anymore, but there still are some. Some of the Chinese SW-BC stations are so strong here on the high end of 40m they can actually "pin" my S-meter, using ham gear and a 40m inverted vee. I have no idea what most of them are saying since most are not in English, but some are.

I never used any kind of directory, I just spin the dial.

My fave SW-BC receiver from my youngest days until now has been a National NC-183D. Man, it's good.:) I had a Hallicrafters SX-28 for a while about 40 years ago and it was also very good.

8. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

My fav lately is Radio Romania International. They have an English broadcast at 2200Z that is usually a S meter needle-pinner here in FL on 40 meters. I can even pick it up easily in nostalgic tone on my old Crosley Fiver. And unlike others using relays, they are actually xmitting from their own country.

Interesting programming in classic SWBC fashion. Their web site has a form for SWL signal reports and they QSL quickly and generously.

http://main2.rri.ro/en_gb/pages/receptie

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  9. KD4IEM

KD4IEM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You might also check out WRMI Radio Miami International at http://www.wrmi.net . They have some good music now and then. Their transmitters are in Okeechobee, FL. Privately owned and operated.