ad: Radclub22-1

Shortwave Station Bends But Doesn’t Break

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, Oct 16, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

Despite being a commercial operation, WRMI has been very friendly to amateur radio. Glad to see they are recovering from Irma.

"Among the many victims of Hurricane Irma in September was the transmitter/antenna farm of Radio Miami International, WRMI in Okeechobee, located on a cattle ranch 40 miles inland from Port St. Lucie on Florida’s Atlantic coast. "

"The post-Irma scene looked as if a drunken giant had wandered across the cattle ranch and tripped repeatedly, taking down whatever he had stumbled across." ... "a 100-watt shortwave transmitter feeding a dipole antenna,” WRMI General Manager Jeff White said. “This kept WRMI’s programming on air to the world 24/7 throughout Irma.” ...

"Granted, 100 watts has nothing on 100,000 watts, the power rating common to most of WRMI’s 14 SW transmitters ... But as any amateur radio operator will tell you, you can cover a lot of ground with 100 watts,” White quipped. “We received reception reports from listeners as far away as southern Ontario and Sacramento, Calif., who had picked up our 100 watts Irma transmissions.”

Much more info here,

http://www.radioworld.com/news-and-business/0002/shortwave-station-bends-but-doesnt-break/340588

73 de John - WØPV

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    KE8GBX, K4VW, KC7STK and 5 others like this.
  2. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I read in popular electronics in the 60's there was guy that had a 850 millwatt fm station and his station was in a high rise apartment and his signal covered most of NYC. there was quite an articular on his low powered unlicensed station.

3. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

Was that legal back then as it is now with Part 15 stations?

4. KC5MO

KC5MO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

RMI is one of my favorite stations. They did a very commendable job with repairs after the hurricane.

5. AF5AI

AF5AI Ham Member QRZ Page

Great station Great message I hear them all over when I fly and also in Europe 5959

6. N4FLF

N4FLF Ham Member QRZ Page

As a avid listener of WRMI in Melbourne, FL and friend to Bob Biermann, KM4WHM I appreciate the programming and all efforts to keep the station on the airwaves.

7. K2XT

K2XT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What is your favorite program, and time? I will check it out.

8. KQ0J

KQ0J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

" Was that legal back then as it is now with Part 15 stations?"

As I recall , 100 Mw was the limit back then with a 10 foot antenna that must be attached to the transmitter ( not remote)..

9. N4FLF

N4FLF Ham Member QRZ Page

Your Weekend Show, schedule is on the following page.

http://yourweekendshow.com/index.php/how-listen/

Glenn Hauser's World of Radio is also quite good, Glenn used to be a writer for Popular Electronics .

K2XT likes this.
  10. K2XT

K2XT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you. I'll check it out (if the station can put some rf into NJ ! )

11. VE3OUI

VE3OUI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great station, I listen almost very night on 9.535 the oldies. signals into Elliot Lake in Northern Ontario are always + S15 into Hustler G5RV ant.
    mtd on mast at 13 feet, 65 feet away in the back yard . Radio is a Kenwood 440S or Yaesu FT-991. This is my favorite listening station. You can find it everywhere in the world.
    Ve3oui, Elliot Lake.

12. WB2BBS

WB2BBS Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think 850 mW in the FM broadcast band was ever permitted. As I recall it was 100 mW.

13. N3AFS

N3AFS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

WRMI's signal is quite strong into central North Carolina in the 31 meter band (just below 10 kcs). Do any of you remember the SINPO reporting code developed by Popular Electronics magazine in the 1960s? Well their report is always 50025. The reporting code means Signal, Interference, Noise, Propagation & Overall. Best time to listen is weekday mid-afternoons when they play "oldies" music.
    Good listening & 73, Ken - KG4LLQ