Shortwave radio on (old) TV shows

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KC3MIO, Jan 9, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KC3MIO

KC3MIO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

We were watching Father Knows Best (yes we are Medicare eligible) and the episode had Bud and Jin listening to marine traffic and a ship was not aware of a storm and got in trouble. The boat could not hear or contact the Coast Guard, but the Andersons did. The boat was 1,000 miles away and Bud explained that they were hearing it because of skip. They realized that they should make a long distance call ( remember those?) to the Coast Guard, and the boat was saved.

Also, My Three Sons had George Takei (of Star Trek fame) as a ham radio operator. Any others?

2. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

KC3MIO likes this.
  3. WC8L

WC8L Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The other day I watched an episode of "Hazel" and the boy was operating a Ham radio at one of his friends house down the street. Mr. Baxter's TV was getting some interference and he blamed it on the transmitter. Later in the show the interference was discovered to be coming from his electric back heating pad.

N0TZU and W4IOA like this.
  4. N4DJC

N4DJC Ham Member QRZ Page

Not TV, but I recall an Andy Hardy movie with a young ham operator. Contacted someone to get in touch with Andy’s mother (the phone lines were either out or they didn’t have a phone). Judge Hardy was impressed.

5. KD2MVP

KD2MVP Ham Member QRZ Page

There is an episode of Highway Patrol where they are searching for a ham radio operator. Broderick Crawford contacted the ARRL to help locate him because he was in possession of a radioactive device he picked up at a junkyard.

N4DJC likes this.
  6. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

7. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

in old B movies that used to come on at 3pm..... back in the late 60's and early 70's, there was always a guy with a ham radio, or a shortwave receiver, or so forth..... and they almost NEVER worked! In the movie with the Giant Ants that got hung up in an old mine, there was the guy screaming for help into a car-mounted radio.... he got eaten. AND in the one with the giant Praying Mantis in the NY Tunnel there was that family listening to their Civil Defense shortwave for Emergency Instructions. We have no idea what happened to them. AND let's not forget all of the Japanese folks listening to shortwave radios when Godzilla was stomping down Tokyo.

WW2PT and N0TZU like this.
  8. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Outer Limits
    Twilight Zone

9. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

My wife and I were watching the show "Emergence" on ABC the other night and the grandfather brought out his old ham radio to try to "contact" the missing girl/robot. It was an old TS 430 or 440. Lol the antenna was never connected and it was able to transmit on multiple frequencies at once. It was also able to receive some sort of text message from the missing girl in 0's and 1's by scrolling across the display. Man I guess I should have read more of my owners manual when I had my TS 440! :confused:

10. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

I've got a TS-440s, and it's a great radio.... BUT I can say with some authority that it does NOT transmit or receive well without an antenna. :p

KB2FCV likes this.