Shortwave Listening Report- Aug 2

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KK4NSF, Aug 2, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

If you look at the Homepage here at QRZ, you'll see that the SFI has risen to 73. That may not seem like a lot, but in terms of SWL it's quite significant! The last few days have been very good for listening. If you not tuned in lately due to bad propogation, now is a good time to give it a new try!

2. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Rich go to the web page at https://groups.io/g/swskeds/files

Left click on the link A20-200804-1500.zip .Full updates will always have a similar link format appearance. Others have just a small about of update information like A00 6075.jpg .

Save the file(s) wherever you want. I save mine into the C:/ drive "Downloads" folder in W10.

Double click on the saved files and you will see the schedules open up in various formats like .xlx, .csv, .txt, etc.

I always use the Excel version because it has more information and in color. I drag the .xlx file to my desk top and use it there.

At the bottom you can select "English" only schedules only or "Combined", all languages schedules. You can edit a line of information including widening any columns you want.

Full schedule updates come about once per week but sometimes twice.

It brings every known shortwave listening database together into the one database. You can't beat it.

BTW the stations frequencies range is 16 kHz to 28 mHz, both broadcast and utility.

If you hit F9 in the .xls version it will update the time to current UTC.

Hope this helps.

WZ7U likes this.
  3. W4HM

No an SFI of 73 will not provide for an HF Radio Wave propagation boost.

Check this out. I put it together about 30 years ago.

Globally HF radio wave propagation conditions are most evenly balanced

during the fall and spring equinoxes and most diametrically opposed during

the summer and winter solstices.

Conditions change daily, weekly, monthly, yearly and by decade, as the

sun rises and sets at different times and at different angles from the

ecliptic, as well as by radio wave frequency. This is due to changes in the

maximum usable frequency (MUF), lowest usable frequency (LUF) and F layer

critical frequency (FoF2). Also by propagation path.

The D and E layers also come into play through RF radio wave signal

absorption and refraction. And then there is sporadic E (Es) radio wave

propagation that can really throw a wrench into the gears so to speak.

Things like sporadic E (Es) radio wave propagation and lightning storm

static can impact HF radio wave propagation in an unpredictable manner and

mostly bad.

Ongoing solar, space and geomagnetic weather goings on also impact HF radio.

Lower high frequency (80-30 meters) propagation conditions are impacted in a

negative manner not so much by variations in the maximum usable frequency

(MUF) along a particular propagation path and time but rather due to

geomagnetic elevated geomagnetic conditions (Kp-3-4), storms (Kp-5 &

greater) that increase signal absorption via the E layer (the altitude of

the radio aurora). Also increases in the lowest usable frequency (LUF) via D

layer RF signal absorption due to hard x-rays, galactic cosmic waves,

elevated background solar flux levels greater than B0 and energetic proton

flux levels at energies greater than 10 MeV (10+0).

Higher frequency (20-10 meters) propagation conditions are impacted in a

negative manner by variations in the maximum usable frequency (MUF) along a

particular propagation path and time due to the current sunspot number and

also due to elevated geomagnetic conditions (Kp-3-4), storms of Kp-5 &

greater. Also D layer RF signal absorption due to elevated (greater than B0)

background solar flux levels. Also to a lesser extent elevated proton flux

at energies greater than 10 MeV (10+0).

GENERAL GUIDELINES CONCERNING CORRELATION OF PROPAGATION INDICES TO ACTUAL HF PROPAGATION CONDITIONS-

NOTE!!! The propagation indices "interpretations" are my personal intellectual property. Therefore the radio wave propagation indices interpretations contained herein is copyrighted © 1988-2020 by Thomas F. Giella, W4HM, all rights reserved. Reproduction of information herein is allowed without permission in advance as long as proper credit is given.

All 14 of the following indices have to occur as described below in order to see the best global high frequency radio wave propagation possible, something that happens rarely.

1.) Dropping geomagnetic field indices numbers are better, Kp of 0 best.

2.) A daily sunspot number of 150 or higher, 200 or higher best.

3.) A daily sunspot number of greater than 100 for routine stable formation of the E Valley/F Layer ducting mechanism.

4.) Previous 24 hour Ap index under 10, fewer than 7 for several days consecutively are best.

5.) Previous 3 hours Kp index fewer than 3 for mid latitude paths, fewer than 2 for high latitude paths, 0 for several days consecutively is best.

6.) Energetic protons no greater than 10 MeV (10+0).

7.) Background x-ray flux levels greater than B1 for several days consecutively, greater than C1 best.

8.) No current STRATWARM alert.

9.) Interplanetary magnetic field (IMF) Bz with a (positive number) sign, indicates a lesser chance of high latitude path aurora absorption/unpredictable refraction or scattering of medium frequency RF signals, when the Kp is above 3.

10.) A -10 or better towards a positive number Dst index during the recovery time after a geomagnetic storm, as related to the equatorial ring current. A positive number is best.

11.) Rising positive T index number. The T Index tracks with the F2 layer critical frequency (foF2) and sunspot number (SSN) and indicates the capability of the F2 layer to refract RF signals.

12.) Galactic cosmic rays decrease to -3 units below zero and trending towards zero.

13.) Energetic electron flux levels no greater than 2 MeV (2+0).

14. A solar wind speed of less than 300 km/s for several days consecutively.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Standard Disclaimer-

Note! I use error prone RAW public domain data from the NOAA Space Environment Center, other U.S. government entities, educational institutions and some private individuals, to produce my daily solar, space and geomagnetic weather discussion. This data is gathered and made public by the U.S. Government using taxpayer $$$ (including mine).

However this daily solar, space and geomagnetic weather discussion that I produce from the RAW public domain data is my personal intellectual property. Therefore this daily solar, space and geomagnetic weather discussion contained herein is copyrighted © 1988-2020 by Thomas F. Giella, W4HM.

Feel free without prior permission to redistribute this daily solar, space and geomagnetic weather discussion, as long as you redistribute it in its entirety and give me credit for it.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    KA0HCP and WB0ZRD like this.
  4. W4HM

Here's one for 630 and 160 meters (MF).

GENERAL GUIDELINES CONCERNING CORRELATION OF PROPAGATION INDICES TO ACTUAL MF PROPAGATION CONDITIONS-

Medium frequency (300-3000 khz) radio wave propagation conditions are impacted in a negative manner not by variations in the maximum usable frequency (MUF) along a particular propagation path and time but rather due to energetic electron flux levels at energies greater than 2 MeV (2+1), geomagnetic disturbances (Kp-3-4) and geomagnetic storms (Kp-5 & >) that increase signal absorption via the E layer (the general altitude of the radio aurora). Also increases in the lowest usable frequency (LUF) via D layer signal absorption due to elevated background solar flux levels greater than A0, proton flux levels at energies greater than 10 MeV (10+0), hard x-rays and galactic cosmic rays.

There is also the issue of magneto ionic power coupling. Antenna polarization plays a large role in the success of a long haul MF DX contact. As a MF RF signal traverses Earth's magnetic lines of force in a perpendicular manner on high and mid latitude paths say between W3 land and SM, higher angle horizontally polarized signals are more readily absorbed than lower angle vertically polarized signals. On other propagation paths on the globe opposite results can be found, i.e., horizontally polarized signals suffer less absorption on a propagation path between VK6 and W6 or S9 and W4.

Unfortunately the simplest way to look at medium frequencies with respect to radio wave propagation conditions is to accept the fact that propagation is poor the majority of the time, especially past approximately 1250 miles (one maximum distance refraction off of the E layer), with occasional short-lived good periods as far as 3200 miles.

All 13 of the following indices have to occur as described below in order to see the best global medium frequency (MF) radio wave propagation possible.

The simplest way to look at medium frequencies (MF) with respect to radio wave propagation conditions is to accept the fact that propagation is poor the majority of the time, especially past approximately 1250 miles (one refraction off of the E layer), with occasional short-lived good periods as far as 3200 miles.

1.) Dropping geomagnetic field indices numbers are better, Kp of 0 best.

2.) A daily sunspot number under 100, under 70 best.

3.) A daily sunspot number no higher then the 100 for routine stable formation of the E Valley/F Layer ducting mechanism.

4.) Previous 24 hour Ap index under 10, fewer than 7 for several days consecutively are best.

5.) Previous 3 hours Kp index fewer than 3 for mid latitude paths, fewer than 2 for high latitude paths, 0 for several days consecutively is best.

6.) Energetic proton flux levels no greater than 10 MeV (10+0).

7.) Background x-ray flux levels of A0 for several days consecutively.

8.) No current STRATWARM alert.

9.) Interplanetary magnetic field (IMF) Bz with a (positive number) sign, indicates a lesser chance of high latitude path aurora absorption/unpredictable refraction or scattering of medium frequency RF signals, when the Kp is above 3.

10.) A -10 or better towards a positive number Dst index during the recovery time after a geomagnetic storm, as related to the equatorial ring current. A positive number is best.

11.) Galactic cosmic rays decrease to -3 units below zero and trending towards zero.

12.) Energetic electron flux levels no greater than 2 MeV (2+0).

13. A solar wind speed of less than 300 km/s for several days consecutively.

5. KK4NSF

Well.... we'll have ot agree to disagree on this one, based on two factors:
    1- a noticable increase in received weak signals, especially on the day side. and
    2- propagation predictions from Tamela Skov, who also sees the SFI increase as a boost for radio propagation.

However, since this is a discussion about SWL, and not the science behind propagation, let's save the multi-page monologues for another day. OK?

6. W4HM

Well you brought up HF radio wave propagation not me. Feel free to believe what you want, it doesn't matter to me either way.:rolleyes:

7. W4HM

http://www.astrosurf.com/luxorion/qsl-hf-tutorial-nm7m.htm

NM7M said:

.....The energy of 10.7 cm photons is .00001 eV, a factor of 1,000,000 too
    LOW to ionize anything in our atmosphere. So the 10.7 cm flux only
    tells us about the presence of active regions on the sun, not
    directly about the state of ionization in the ionosphere.

If that was not bad enough, it has been found that the 10.7 cm flux can come
    from the corona above regions which are behind the east and west
    limbs of the sun. Those regions are much less likely to have their
    ionizing radiation reach the ionosphere directly.

So the 10.7 cm flux has its purpose, indicating the presence of active regions, and
    it is a mistake to think that changes in that flux are always
    associated directly with the state of our ionosphere.....

KA4DPO likes this.
  8. KK4NSF

geeezzz....
    If you want to argue propagation theory / sfi / your pet theories, please start a new thread. I'm sure you will find all sorts of folks to argue with.

WD4IGX and VK4GAP like this.
  9. VK4GAP

VK4GAP Ham Member QRZ Page

Wots with the WALL of words , seriously like the OP mentions there are other places for the actual science of propagation imo .
    (no matter who mentioned this or that , make a page and put in a link as i have just wasted time reading inaccurate information passed as a true fact!)
    ps- and No i'll not Clarify .

Paul

pss- Btw , that swsked place , whilst ok is inaccurate , have stations listed that are not there , and stations there that are different , many dupes , it is inaccurate , i tried it , looked at it , researched it and now do not bother with it , and no imo there .

KK4NSF likes this.
  10. W4HM

Troll city. :(

It's a shame that we can no longer try to educate one another without people taking offence and freaking out. It happens on the air now also. That's why it's so hard to find an Elmer anymore.

Don't confuse me with the facts. I'm happy to no nothing, ignorance is bliss.:eek:

In any event you guys enjoy SWL'ing the way you want.:D:rolleyes:

W2AI likes this.