Shortwave Listening Report- Aug 2

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KK4NSF, Aug 2, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: QSOToday-1
  1. VK4GAP

VK4GAP Ham Member QRZ Page

Put some Grease on that VFO shaft on the 5000 , one can then "Spin it" .:p

2. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

That is another great place for DXing! From my location, I can pick up several hundred AM broadcast stations most nights. I especially like to listen to Baseball games, broadcasted from different stations. One station says "What a GREAT play!".... while the opposing team's announcer says "What a lucky catch". :D

VK4GAP likes this.
  3. W9RAC

W9RAC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Im not certain if your are just kidding or have used a R-5000 and felt the drag is heavy on the VFO. If the latter is the case one can adjust the amount of drag on the VFO with the inter VFO knob. You can dampen it or not making it more comfortable for ones own feel. 73 Rich
    http://www.radiomanual.info/schemi/KENW_RX/R-5000_user.pdf

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  4. W9RAC

I should mention WBCQ has a pretty nice talk schedule 7490 that most always has a great signal for me. You have to sort through some of the religious programs but lots of good stuff. 73 Rich
    http://wbcq.com/schedule/

5. VE3WI

VE3WI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great to see so many services still up. Surprised to see RCI in the list. Our "leaders" decided several years ago that the country could no longer afford to be an international broadcaster, pulled the plug on the Sackville, New Brunswick transmitter site, & laid off most of the staff. RCI exists only as a website now. No mention of rebroadcasting on the website. Anybody know who's airing their content?
    Dave, VE3WI

6. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

You know.... I'm not sure either. I'll look at my logs for the freq and see who's sending it out.

7. VK4GAP

No not joking , i have owned a couple of 5000's over the years and after a clean and lube the vfo spun nicely , the FRG-100 needed the same treatment . Paul

8. VK4GAP

LOL , politics :oops:

9. W9RAC

I had not noticed it being objectionable. I have adjusted the dampening to my preferred touch however. I have also had FRG-100, a couple or three AOR AR 5000+. I have been tempted to try the JRC 535d but never have since I keep going back to the R-5000. Good listening, 73 Rich

10. VK4GAP

I suppose it depends in what environment radios live in , over the years the grease or oil drys out , dust and u name it also conflabberates it all , the FRG-100 i purchased 2nd hand one did need to actually "twist" the vfo , it's a common drama for the older stuff , a clean and lube unconflabberated it , cheers .