ad: IACantenna-1

Short wave listening

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AF7XI, Oct 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Subscribe
ad: K3QNTad-1
  1. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm using an R-390A from the 1960's. I'm not sure how the batteries are doing inside. I think it uses quite a few of them and I need to check them out.

There's still plenty of English broadcasts to be heard, you just have to know when and where to find them.

The site at the link below is my very favorite one for finding out what English programming is on the shortwave bands right now !

There's several different ways to search for shortwave stations using different search criteria (English, shortwave band, particular SW broadcaster etc.) when using this useful site.

Check it out...

http://www.short-wave.info/

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017 at 2:15 AM
    KE5OFJ, WZ7U, W3MMM and 3 others like this.
  2. AF7XI

AF7XI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Outstanding! Thank you for sharing!

N6HCM, WZ7U and KC8VWM like this.
  3. AF7XI

AF7XI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think my C.Crane Shortwave stock antenna is insufficient. How well do the auxiliary antennas work? Does anyone have experience with this one?

4. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey cool, thanks for this!
    I'll try it - when my wife wakes up!

5. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am a VHF weak signal person, sure I chase a little HF DX but it really isn't my thing!

6. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

As a general rule, more antenna will outperform less antenna, outside will outperform inside, higher will outperform lower, etc.

The fun is designing and making antennas that are resonant and may have gain, thus increasing their effectiveness without resorting to just being bigger or higher.

For SWL, I'd try just taking any old piece of long wire and seeing how much you can improve reception. I think you'll be surprised. Without looking at the branded antenna you mention, my guess is that it would do better than the antenna built into the radio. I'd also guess that a longer wire strung outside will outperform them both.

KE5OFJ and AF7XI like this.
  7. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks! That is a great find :D

KC8VWM likes this.
  8. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

I used to listen to shortwave quite a bit in the late 80's / early 90's. I preferred the older boatanchors.. Hammarlund Super Pro, HQ-180, HQ-129... (I still have the super pro and hq-129). I enjoyed listening to radio moscow, the bbc.. and one of my favorites was ecos del torbes on 4980 kc. Every night they would play their national anthem and one or two other songs with their nightly sign-off routine. They also had good latin jazz some nights. It was glorious to listen to on those old receivers with the QSB & occasional static crash.

9. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I love SW listening, but nowadays I like to do it on homebrew regenerative receivers. They're fun to build and good for both AM and SSB/CW.

1 person likes this.
  10. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

any SWL receivers that have a decent viewable clock? Would be nice to have a nice bedside clock-radio replacement, but need one with one of those LED clocks visible at night (wifie priority)