Short wave listening

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AF7XI, Oct 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Interesting that SWL has as many ham adherents. Me too. I think it says something about ham activity...and obviously not because of poor propagation.

WD4IGX likes this.
  2. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an ATS-909 that is still going strong after 20y. I use it as an alarm/radio clock. IIRC, there are two or three versions of it now. It does much better on SW with a good antenna attached.

It's not great for hamming -- ham signals are too congested and really need a receiver with good filters, which is going to be hard to find in a portable.

AF7XI likes this.
  3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I used to be an SWL at age 11-12 then became licensed at age 13 and still SWL'd a little bit after that.

I think it was way more interesting back then: More English language broadcasts, more international news services, not so many religious stations.

Today, I don't find it interesting at all and have several receivers to listen with, all of which are way better than anything I had as a kid.:p

In the 60s, Radio Moscow must have had a dozen or more transmitters, including some that were right in the 40m Novice (CW) band. They were so strong I could use them as a BFO and shut my receiver BFO off to listen to signals within 1-2 kHz of their frequencies.

KE5OFJ, WD4IGX, N7ZAL and 1 other person like this.
  4. AF7XI

AF7XI Ham Member QRZ Page

I've tried the ATS- 909X but I don't remember it having WX capability. That's a feature I like on my radios too. As if I don't have enough back up/small WX radios...

5. N4FLF

N4FLF Ham Member QRZ Page

Started in SWL'ing back in the latter 1960's was the glory days of non-stop propaganda and mil-comms in the open. Still plenty of listening opportunities with quality programs waking each morning listening to the news from New Zealand and rock-n-roll from Romania Intl.

Still have a rather large pirate community that is active during certain times and religious broadcasters spreading the word. Lots of survivalist and conspiracy programs even a few devoted to amateur radio. The inclusion of DRM and other digital modes used by utility stations makes for some interesting uses.

My listening is mostly done from a modest Icom IC-718 feed by a 80m dipole or G5RV Jr.. I also use a v.3 RTL-SDR still amazed how a $20 dongle can pack so much punch it's connected to a home-brew 19m dipole for casual listening and to quickly locate signals across several bands.

For years I've enjoyed a Grundig YB 400PE as a bedside radio it receives nightly use. Recently had the opportunity to try a SDRPlay RSP2 it's the way to go blew my proverbial doors off.

NZ5F and N2UHC like this.
  6. AF7XI

AF7XI Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm listening to what sounds like a Russian news broadcast- 5850 kHz at 12AM Zulu.

Could be Radio Slovakia.

7. WB2WIK

I still have my Zenith TransOceanic from 1966! (My father had a much older one, but it's long gone somewhere.)

But I'm sure its batteries are very dead, I haven't used it in years.

Now that I think of it, I probably removed the batteries to assure they wouldn't leak inside the radio.

NZ5F likes this.
  8. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

If only there was something on.................
    SW in English seems to be all religious now.

W5RHR and AF7XI like this.
  9. K5GTI

K5GTI Ham Member QRZ Page

Radio Havana Cuba has some interesting programming to n English. Depending on conditions 6000khz comes in decently.

N4FLF and AF7XI like this.
  10. WB2WIK

That's mostly what I find also.

But that's okay, I just worked Jesus. He's LU5FC and banging in on 20m right now...59++

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    WD4IGX and (deleted member) like this.