ad: Anwtowers-1

Short wave listening

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AF7XI, Oct 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: l-gcopper
  1. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, me too. Pretty much the same stuff, with a few little $40 shortwave radios thrown in (and sitting unused somewhere)

One of the coolest things: I was on a carribean cruise a few years ago; my son and nephew were both about 10 years old. I had a little pocket SWL radio and found a Cuban numbers station...it was pretty much the only station I could hear. The boys listened in amazement as I explained

AF7XI likes this.
  2. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

Look around for an old DX-440 or DX-398 from Radio Shack....can be had cheap and they are good receivers made by Sangean. I got a DX-398 at Goodwill Store for $4.50....STEAL

NZ5F and AF7XI like this.
  3. MW6ZAN

MW6ZAN Ham Member QRZ Page

The eaton or grundig sat 750 is quite a good choice for short wave listening combined with a tecsun an200 loop antenna for mw dx works very well, or the tecsun pl600 thats a nice radio. There again with the loss of short wave broadcast stations now going over to internet and fm broadcasting, i think it may be a bit of a waste of time spending lots of cash on a radio anyway. 73

AF7XI likes this.
  4. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  5. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, it depends on which. You can pay plenty of money for general coverage receivers as good (or better) as the receiver in any transceiver. But talking about Grundigs and similar? No. They are not as good. However, they are more portable, do well enough, especially for listening to high power broadcast stations, and are nice to travel with.

WD4IGX, AF7XI and K5GTI like this.
  6. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

If you can find a good used Sony 2010, they're well worth the money. They were made from 1984 to the early 2000's, which is an extremely long run for a portable SW receiver, so there ought to be lots of them out there. On the other hand, though, those who have them are often reluctant to sell them. I've thought a few times about selling mine since I rarely use it these days, but then I just realized that's just crazy talk. I think I'd really miss having my 2010 if I sold it.

For my main SWL'ing I use my Icom R75.

N5DMC and AF7XI like this.
  7. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

If there's one thing we all have in common here its that we like to waste lots of cash on radios! :)

Agreed on the decline of broadcast stations. For me, I use the Grundig as my "listen to some classical before I go to bed radio" and sometimes the ham bands. One of the REALLY annoying things about the radio is that it makes a beep sound when you change bands, or change modes or do most anything - and that beep is audible to outsiders even if you have headphones in. The net is that it makes it impossible to sit in bed and "fiddle" with the radio while my wife sleeps. I bet I could just disable the beeper-mic-bobber, but there should be a way to do so without using wire cutters.

As for the OP- one thing you may have noticed is that some of the radios have two brand names - Eaton/Grundig, Tecson/Sangean - if the radios look similar, they probably have the same guts with just a different shell..

AF7XI likes this.
  8. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I've got a Radio Shack DX-402 which is exactly the same as a Sangean ATS-505.

AF7XI likes this.
  9. N2SUB

N2SUB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I had a Drake SW2 that I loved until I blew out the front end......I built a T/R switch that went awry. Not a bad rig, and very easy to operate if you can find one at a reasonable price. I like that it's a 'desktop' model so you don't have to worry about it falling over. People seem to be charging a lot for them these days, so you'll have to keep your eyes open.

AF7XI likes this.
  10. MW6ZAN

MW6ZAN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi w3mmm i think if you press in the zero key on the grundig it will let you toggle between beep on and beep off you can disable the beep function i have read a considerable amount of dislike for the eaton/grundig sat 750 but i have been using my eaton for 6 years never had a problem with the radio mind i think it is a little over priced running at 300 uk pounds. 73 da de da