ad: k1jek

Short wave listening

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AF7XI, Oct 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. AF7XI

AF7XI Ham Member QRZ Page

Channeling my pre-ham inner child, I am getting back into Short Wave listening. There's something fun about a simple little radio and a wire antenna, listening to broadcasts from all over the world. I thought for sure I'd seen and "SWLing" forum on here somewhere, but perhaps I was mistaken.

I'm looking at the TecSun PL-880 as it has SSB. My C.Crane Skywave is pretty fun, but I think I'd like the SSB capability. Any general thoughts here regarding portable SW, AM/FM, WX, SSB radios? I see C.Crane has a new Skywave with SSB capability set to launch.

KC3BZJ likes this.
  2. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

If you can swing it, get a Grundig satellite 750. Has SSB, a decent receiver and good audio. The 880 isn't bad, it's just a bit frustrating at times - the 750 solved it all for me.

I have an 880 and it's predecessor in drawers somewhere. The 750 I use every night, even if just for FM radio stuff.

NZ5F, N6HCM and AF7XI like this.
  3. AF7XI

Great suggestion- I'll take a look at the 750. It looks feature-rich.

Thomas Witherspoon of SWLing.com emailed to say the newer firmware versions of the TecSun PL-880 seem to have fixed many of the frustrating issues. I'll admit, $170 looks a little more enticing than $330! But I do appreciate learning about the Grundig!

4. K5GTI

K5GTI Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's a question. Are any of these shortwave receivers better than the receive capabilities in an HF transceiver by one of the "big three"?

KC3BZJ, N3AB and AF7XI like this.
  5. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I like the Grundiggities too. I've had a number of them.
    But if you can pick up a used Froggy7, that's even better. :)

AF7XI likes this.
  6. AF7XI

Since we're on the subject, what's the best sub-$300 SW DX radio?

7. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you include boat anchors, I've seen an NC-300 for $300. And an NC-303 for $303. :)

AF7XI likes this.
  8. KJ4YEV

KJ4YEV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My old Hallicrafters S-38C still works well for SWL.

AF7XI likes this.
  9. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a 750 next to the bed for listening a night, simple long wire antenna strung across my upstairs ceiling. I also have a PL660(predecessor to the 880) and it is a decent little radio. Mine gets used for noise hunting a LOT!

AF7XI likes this.
  10. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

On average, no.

Let's say the average SWL receiver costs $150 and a transceiver costs $800. That isn't just because the transmitter costs $650 and the receivers are equivalent.

Now, if you compare a higher end SWL receiver to a lower end transceiver you'll get kind of close.

The transceivers tend to have way more "last mile" stuff, like precise tuning, filter options, etc. Not saying those aren't possible on an SWL radio, they just aren't found on most.

K5GTI likes this.