Shocked by recordings from this repeater

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N3FYI, Jul 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. K0WVM

K0WVM Ham Member QRZ Page

Be still my beating heart! Is that a control-op finally taking charge and shutting the repeater down? Listen to the site, there is no carrier.

Bravo!

2. N3FYI

N3FYI Ham Member QRZ Page

Nope, the control op doesn't do a darn thing, and I'm sure it's just a technical glitch that you don't hear swearing on it.

I find it REALLY hard to beleive the FCC doesn't have enough evidence to slam them. HOW LONG has this been going on? For over a year at LEAST. Even recording one day on the repeater would be enough to shut it down.

It seems they really don't care too much about the whole thing, or they could easily go pull the plug and make some arrests/enforcements.

3. N3FYI

N3FYI Ham Member QRZ Page

OH, and be VERY glad they aren't an echolink or Ilink node. For if they ever connected to any of my repeaters here in PA, I WOULd have a serious problem.

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Regarding "how long's this been going on?" I can assure you it's been many, many years...a lot more than one.

I moved to L.A. in 1988 and it sounded exactly the same way then; the only difference is many of the actual operators have changed as old ones died off, moved away, went to jail, etc. The basic content is identical from year to year...

WB2WIK/6

5. KB9YFI

KB9YFI Ham Member QRZ Page

From what I have heard 90% of radios that come into local (Southern Kalifornica) radio shops have the frequency programmed into them. FWIW, who sends a radio into a tech to fix something that you should be able to fix yourself? Might have something to do with the high percentage....

Jim - KB9YFI

6. N7WSB

N7WSB Ham Member QRZ Page

I think what the FCC is worried about - and the justification I've heard from other hams (on qrz none the less) is that they should keep w6nut around because if they don't these hams will move elsewhere and ruin other repeaters.

Personally I think they should revoke the licenses of the repeat violators of this repeater.

Its just like if I drive drunk and run over people - the state will revoke my privaledge to drive my car. Ham radio is the same. I think you need to behave in a polite and professional manner on the air at all times. Irreguardless if you think fcc's ban on swearing is a violation of the constitution (its not - because the supreme court said so) the fact that I've heard people jamming each other, playing music, getting people riled up is really unbecoming of a ham - and its a waste of bandwidth. Look at this chart and ask yourself if its worth it - http://www.ntia.doc.gov/osmhome/allochrt.html - we've got better things to do.

7. K0WVM

I went to bed last night and thinking about all the things that happened the day before, I pretty much am going to let this go. There isn't a thing that I need to get worried about concerning this (shake my head in disbelief), because those guys will eventually hang themselves anyway.

All in all I'll just go back to what was happening before all this was posted. I'll just be satisfied in knowing that at least it's not affecting me here at home and doesn't involve interefering with any repeaters out here.

8. WB2GOF

WB2GOF Ham Member QRZ Page

If they haven't hung themselves in the last 10+ years, what makes you think the sitaution will change (for the better, hopefully) soon?

9. K0WVM

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (WB2GOF @ July 24 2002,06:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If they haven't hung themselves in the last 10+ years, what makes you think the sitaution will change (for the better, hopefully) soon?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Like one poster said, it's a constant recycling process. New hams replace old ones, jailed ones, etc. From just my take on the situation over the last 2-3 days, it appears it's a, &quot;monkey see, monkey do&quot; situation out there.

I would have to say that if nobody did anything illegal (in a perfect world), then the other 1% would probably eventually get bored and go away. Or, new and greater responsibilities would take up the most of their free time.

The question I would have to ask Mike is when was the last time (in the last ten years anyway) the FCC got on these guys (the only exception would be the last 1-1.5 years that we all are aware of) about this?

10. KC2JCA

KC2JCA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

*rolls eyes*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.