Shipping Vintage Gear

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by W8TJM, Jun 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. W8TJM

W8TJM Ham Member QRZ Page

Looking for advice on how to ship a group of equipment consisting of transceiver, power supply, linear, antenna tuner, and wattmeter. Is it best to send each item individually or are there freight cases that are available to put everything into one container? All advice appreciated. Here's a photo of the items. DSCN6069.jpg

2. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I suggest checking with the shipping company. Also see if it is cheaper to pack separately but tape all together into one big package if this is practical.

I always put two fwd/return address labels on each final package.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

W8TJM likes this.
  3. W8TJM

Did check with shipping company and was shocked at what they charge for a wooden shipping crate! Looks like its time to buy some cheap plywood and roll my own.

4. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Double box each item. One double box per chassis. Use nothing but quality NEW boxes and NEW packing materials. Don't skimp on this.

Shipping is crazy expensive these days and there are no short cuts short of driving it there yourself. I've all but given up on shipping big heavy stuff - many times the shipping will be more than the radio is even worth.

Dave
    W7UUU

N4MFA, W3ESE and K9ASE like this.
  5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That is some very fine-looking vintage Swan "Astro" type gear and I'd want it very well protected if I were shipping it anywhere.

Triple-wall Kraft with high density cut foam inserts would do it for me, and then if a few cartons were shipping to the same destination, I'd strap them to a pallet and ship it palletized.

Nobody picks up and throws pallets -- they use forklifts or pallet jacks; I've never had palletized stuff damaged, ever, and I've shipped a lot of it including very heavy amplifiers.

Pallets are very inexpensive.

KI4AX and W8TJM like this.
  6. W8TJM

Sound advice there. Going to look into how much the foam injected services are. Injected foam around the equipment and then the strapped to a pallet as you suggest might be the way to go.

KI4AX and KP4SX like this.
  7. K2HAT

K2HAT QRZ Volunteer Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

Hand deliver is the safest way.

I dislike shipping anything much over 10 lbs.

I have a Yaesu FT-1000D for sale, it weighs 51lbs. Ugh. :(

Without the factory box and inserts I really do not want to ship something that heavy.
    I suppose I could take it to FedEx store, and have them pack it; but prefer to do cash and carry, thus I travel to the hamfests.

8. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Check out Greyhound. Ive shipped and received large wooden console radios that are very well handled by the persons responsible....the drivers. Just remove tubes, speakers, and some dial glass since those radios were laid down with the front up.

Those Swans would ride straight up but there are size and weight limits.

Ive also used the relay system for ham and vintage auto parts using trustworthy forums to set it up.

Carl

9. WA4NJY

WA4NJY Ham Member QRZ Page

Unless you have committed to a sale that requires shipping, I would hold out for a local deal.

Very nice looking radios.

Ed