Shipping only to CONUS - What about AK and HI

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by KL7KN, Jan 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Do you get those "Doesn't ship to United States" indicators that their stupid software kicks out?

2. KB0MLR

KB0MLR Ham Member QRZ Page

Gotta touch a state to be a state, sorry.

3. AL4Y

AL4Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Alaska touches the 51st state, Canada.

4. KL7FZ

KL7FZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep. Sure do. Get that message a lot!
    The item I was trying to buy was a cheap $15 item. I went through 20 or 30 sellers that say no shipping to AK and HI. Finally found one that said shipping to US with no exceptions. Bought and paid for it. Immediately seller responded we don't ship to Alaska and refunded money. I told him there were no exceptions listed but he still refused. I had to go through another 10 or 15 listings to get an item shipped to me
    It just bugs me they will ship to Africa, the Middle East, South America, BUT NOT ALASKA!. Must be democrats. They seem to like foreigners more than US citizens. And as a guys who has done several thousand shipments, I would rather ship domestically anytime than international because of the customs stuff. I guess it would be better if we seceded. Declared war on the US. Surrender. And get all sorts of support from the US then. And then get stuff shipped to us. Oh, and no federal taxes.

5. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

In Hawaii
    How true! Here in Hawaii, everything is marked up by about 24 percent as very little is locally produced. It still rankles me that a small item which could fit in any flat rate box is priced up to ridiculousness for "shipping". And UPS and FedEx deliver here everyday - just like the mainland.

For the few times I've sold things, I've always accepted any buyer with a USA zip code.

(end of minor vent)

KP4SX likes this.
  6. KB0MLR

They are charming enough, according to Scan BC, that I would have no problem with this.

7. KL7FZ

KL7FZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I used to have a few guys come here from Canada. Whitehorse and Calgary mainly. They came up and bought truckloads of stuff from me. And I do mean truckloads. As much stuff as they could cram into their vehicles. Often looked like the Joad family in the "Grapes of Wrath" headed for Californy with beds and chickens tied to the sides and top of their jalopy. BUT they were a HOOT to have around and hang out with. Great people. Always looked forward to their visits.
    We had a good banter about the US and Canada. I always told them we should have invaded and taken over Canada a long time ago. It would not take much. Just 2 old guys in a pickup with a shotgun. And one guy did not even have to have both legs!
    Those guys were fun. Canadians have always been good neighbors. It is nice to have people like that on the other side of such a major long border. And it is a LONG border. And one we don't have to worry about. They have our backs. Mighty fine people. Good beer. But that hockey thing! eh!
    If you are going to have neighbors, Canuks, would be the first on the list.
    But why does it cost so much more to ship to/from the guys? WE have to fly/drive over/through them to get to the lower 48. It cost less to ship to Florida than to a town right over the border from here.
    I have never actually checked to see the difference for shipping to and from the same place across the border. Is it higher or the same both ways? Now I am going to have to go check.
    And I am going to have to crank up some old Guess Who now. "Running back to Saskatoon"!

AL4Y likes this.
  8. KB0MLR

Well, we did try that once and Washington D.C. ended up burned to the ground in 1814. That seemed to be a problem back then, however, I would be delighted contribute a few gallons of gasoline to the cause so long as the Archie Bunker chair remained safe.

AL4Y likes this.
  9. KP4SX

I'm dealing with one of 'those people' right now. They can ship to all of those places from Aachen to Zanzibar based on US pricing (and responsibility) ending at Erlinger, KY.
    In this case the seller is offering FREE Flat Rate shipping so Zanzibar is covered by the Global Shipping Program. In this case it will be a large lightweight parcel and it may not cost anymore to send to here than it does to California. I've asked if he can calculate it so we can work something out even if I have to pay a few bucks extra and will update based on his response.
    With him using the Free Shipping thing he does not have a way to factor in any additional that it *might* take outside of the 48.

10. KP4SX

The aforementioned deal worked out fine. The gentleman was kind enough to calculate the additional shipping amount and set up a page for me to do a BIN.
    Since ebay loves to change things so often they need to do something to remedy this donut hole.