ad: TiltPlate-1

Shipping only to CONUS - What about AK and HI

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by KL7KN, Jan 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
  1. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

If I may LG

I see a fair number of ads "CONUS shipping only" and wonder why Alaska and to a smaller extent HI is cut off. I get not wanting to ship to Zambia or even Italy (ie EU zone).

Would a reply asking if you or any seller would cover the CONUS amount and the other party in Ak cover the additional cost to Alaska be considered "excessive"?

I've seen several rigs, and thought it would be nice to have one or more in the shack - only to see the the "CONUS ONLY". The was enough to to deter me even asking.

BTW - if the item is shipped via USPS Flat Rate - the cost is the same for all 50 States.

Have fun!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    K5ITM likes this.
  2. N9LCD

N9LCD Ham Member QRZ Page

How many rigs other than QRP & HT's can fit into the largest flat rate box?

3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I like cold cash.

KB0MLR likes this.
  4. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

Sending a parcel from say NY to CA goes at zone 8 rates. So does one from anywhere on the mainland to HI, AK, GU, PR, VI.
    That is for the post office. UPS or Fedex is a different story.
    One fellow told me he considered PR as part of "conus 48" :)

AH7I likes this.
  5. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

I mentioned that to show Flat Rate is the same all over the US.

I once mailed a GN-58 to a fellow in CA. Cost $68. Shipping isn't a lot if you use parcel post.

6. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

For a while I thot you might not need to worry about HI.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

7. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator QRZ Page

I think that a lot of guys who say CONUS in their ad would indeed ship to AK or HI if you waved money under their nose. ;-)

8. KL5A

KL5A Ham Member QRZ Page

When you live in Alaskatraz, you accept the cost of shipping and don't realize how much more it costs than in the lesser 48. Even the flat rate box isn't that great when you consider that here in the lesser you can send a flat rate worth of box for less than flat rate. Unless itsa heavy parcel flat rate here is the expensive option.
    Offering an item for x amount shipped would incur a unreasonable penalty to ship to AK or HI . You could get in touch and ask the seller but it's not their fault you live on the other side of Canada . I surely do not miss that at all.

9. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

I find that to be true as well. Never hurts to ask. Some want to confirm that you will be paying in US Dollars :)
    I think "conus 48" is some sort of ad-speak that people do out of habit because everyone else says that.

10. KL7FZ

KL7FZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I can leave mine outside for a while if you wish. It is 0 degrees here now. Or would you prefer if I wait until it hits minus 30? My bet is our cash runs a lot colder than yours!
    They make those nice insulated boxes for shipping fish south I could put it in.

I deal a lot in gold but I suppose you don't like that either? Maybe a barrel or two of oil? Fur?
    Remember we are a lot larger than all of your little states in the "Lesser 48".
    We have considered buying one of those more southern states so Alaskans can have a winter vacation spot. But you guys have so many problems we considered it a bad investment.
    We are part of the US. A BIG part. Our military defends access to you. We are the front line. So radios are a necessary part of that defense.
    The earthquake day before yesterday was exciting and the radios were buzzing!
    And a note to Texans: I did marry a Texas girl. But as I told her: Texas better not come up here and brag about Texas or we will divide Alaska into two parts and make Texas the "THIRD" largest state!
    All in fun.
    Look for Alaskans on 14.292mhz.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    N6OIL likes this.