Shipping Costs to Alaska

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by AL7PX, Jan 24, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
  1. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

You're right, it wouldn't be. If the ad said something like, " Price shipped CONUS, add $5.00 for Alaska." most folks would probably find that reasonable. I think . . .

KP4SX likes this.
  2. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

But so many aren't including shipping in the cost and still say "CONUS ONLY".
    So what's up with that? I have read of some perceived risks in shipping "overseas" and how they will have to spend more in packaging. Hello?
    And the omnipresent suggestion that those "overseas" people are more prone to be frauds or present other problems with the transaction.

3. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Amazon won't ship a lot of things to Alaska at ANY cost. I had to have a friend DRIVE up some PCB etchant.

4. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Probably because they are scared of anything and anyone possibly foreign, and don't know that the US extends beyond the 48 contiguous states.

5. AL7PX

AL7PX Ham Member QRZ Page

Using same USPS service Priority Mail package @ 10lbs. size 10x10x10

Ok, I picked Dallas Texas as the shipping city to Seattle. Costs $38.60
    Dallas Texas as the shipping city to Anchorage costs $38.60

Looks the same to me folks

6. WL7CG

WL7CG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have seen ads in QRZ where the item is sitting in an USPS flat rate box and they will only ship to the lower states.

7. KL7FZ

KL7FZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Just bought a TS-2000 from Florida. Price included shipping CONUS. Checked Priority. Shipping was the exact same to LA, Portland, Seattle, and Alaska. Seller agreed to ship and everyone was happy.
    I don't understand those who absolutely refuse to ship to us up here. We are US citizens also, And we have a very large population of veterans. But if you prefer to ship to California (a sanctuary state) and maybe an illegal there and not to a US citizen vet in Alaska, I have a bone to pick with you.
    OOPs! Sorry I slipped into a bad place. But I have encountered that above mentioned scenario in the past.
    Guy refused to ship even though I said I would pay any shipping AND even offered to pay more for the item! Same PO. Same box. Still refused.
    Grrrrrrr! (I learned that from a bear) And the wolves were howling outside the house yesterday.
    I have dealt with the shipping thing for over 50 years. It is better but still needs some improvement.
    Not as bad as when we were often asked if we take American money.
    Thanks so much to all of you who will deal with us up here. We don't have any ham stores here.
    Tried to buy some items on ebay from Gigaparts. All their sales say "Does not ship to Alaska and Hawaii"

8. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I could see some extra issues with materials that cannot go by air...

9. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Try Dallas to Las Vegas and Dallas to Atlanta and let us know what you get. The box in the prior examples was 8x10X16, if it makes any difference.

10. AL7PX

AL7PX Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not comparing rates to city to city. What I am pointing out is that seller says "CONUS" shipping to Seattle is ok and Alaska, Hawaii is not ok. That means the seller is ok shipping to Seattle and not ok shipping to Alaska. The point being the price is the same. Many believe shipping to Anchorage say is more than say Seattle, it is not different, the price is the same. Seattle is in the lower 48 the last time I checked. Get it?