Shipping Costs to Alaska

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by AL7PX, Jan 24, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AL7PX

AL7PX Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe most of you don't realize the USPS shipping cost are the same as say from North Carolina to Seattle as North Carolina to Alaska. I see so many ads saying only CONUS and it doesn't make any difference. I am not talking about USPS Flat Rate boxes either. This for any package that the USPS will handle. There are regions and not locations that make up postal rates. For example:

10 pound parcel from North Carolina zip 27106 to Seattle 98101 is $38.60 USPS Priority Mail
    10 pound parcel from North Carolina zip 27106 to Anchorage 99518 is $38.60 USPS Priority Mail
    10 pound parcel from North Carolina zip 27106 to Bethel Alaska 99551 is $38.60 USPS Priority Mail

It's the same rate.

AL7PX

2. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I just calculated it from Philadelphia, and it's the same $38.60.
    Reason I did this, I was curious and it turns out that rate will get you to Hawaii also, or Guam. PR is a little cheaper.

Point, US mail within the country or possessions is pretty much the same.

3. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, but if shipped to Lexington, KY it would be only $15.60, or to Chicago, IL at $18.95.
    Zip 27016 is Winston-Salem, NC, way over near the east coast. If we use a more central shipping location like 60062 Chicago, IL we get some different results.
    From Chicago, IL 60062
    to Anchorage or Bethel is still $38.60
    to Seattle, WA or San Diego, CA is $33.05
    to Miami, FL is $29.70
    to Toledo, OH is $15.60
    It does seem to matter where the package is going. It looks like shipping to Alaska is more expensive than a CONUS state in most cases.
    USPS Postage Price Calculator https://postcalc.usps.com/
    package 10 lb 0 oz, 8x10x16, Priority Mail

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  4. AJ4GQ

Not exactly. Shipping it from Philadelphia to me in Calabash, NC would cost only $18.95.

5. AL7PX

AL7PX Ham Member QRZ Page

The point I'm trying to make is that people that say "Only Ship to CONUS". My example shows that they would be OK shipping to Seattle but not OK to ship to Anchorage Alaska. The price is the same for USPS Priority Mail. For whatever reason they believe the price would be higher shipped to Anchorage than Seattle. The price is the same.

ND6M, KP4SX and WB7OXP like this.
  6. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

Its to cover the extra paperwork as one intelligence challenged seller once told me.

N0TZU likes this.
  7. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Haha!! Those pesky "domestic customs forms to states not on the mainland"

:D:D

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN likes this.
  8. WB7OXP

WB7OXP Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

sadly,

soon will probably be true. have you seen the new "real id" to fly stuff?

9. AJ4GQ

Not necessarily. The price is only $33.05 to Seattle and still $38.60 to Anchorage if you ship from Chicago or other areas in the midwest. Using 27106 Winston-Salem as a shipping point is not representative. Pick any other city near the middle of the country and see what you get. Even if you pick Seattle as a shipping point,$33.05 to Anchorage vs $29.70 to El Paso, TX, even though the air miles are almost identical.
    It costs more to ship to Alaska from most anywhere in the CONUS.

10. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

And so what if the cost is somewhat more? Would it really be that that much more effort to add in the extra shipping charge? Sheesh.

KB4QAA likes this.