Shipping a SB-200

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by N5MOA, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
  1. N5MOA

N5MOA Subscriber QRZ Page

Does the transformer need to be removed to ship a SB-200?

2. W0UZR

W0UZR Ham Member QRZ Page

The TRANSFORMER!!?

You mean the Tubes, I'm sure. YES the tubes need to be taken out and shipped separately. And make sure you have a good 2 inches of bubble wrap around them and some peanuts in the box on top of that.

3. W0BTU

W0BTU Ham Member QRZ Page

I think he meant the transformer. Didn't Heath ship it separately? Whether or not he did, it is a great idea, given the way packages are handled (thrown like a football) today.

Having said that, the tubes should be packed and shipped separately, too.

Three packages is not a waste of money in this case.

4. WA3EEC

WA3EEC Ham Member QRZ Page

Regardless of whether you remove the transformer or not, it's worthwhile to go through the piece and ensure all the screws and nuts are tightened.

I've seen more equipment and parts broken by having things become loose in transit.

When you pack it, make sure the weight is on the top and sides of the cabinet and there is no weight on the front (or rear) panel. If you get some solid filler material, take a box a bit larger than the SB200, use the solid filler to wedge it into place with the front and rear panels, not touching anything, seal that box, then put it into another box with 3-4 inches of "peanuts" around it.

Then any gorilla at your favorite package delivery firm will not break it.

Lad WA3EEC

5. N5MOA

Nope, I meant the transformer. It's big and heavy and the chassis isn't.

I vaguely remember something about removing it to ship, so as to not maybe tweak the chassis.

My AL-80B came with the transformer installed, so it maybe ok to leave it in a SB-200 also. I don't know, hence the question.

I already knew about removing the tubes, but thanks for mentioning it.

6. N5MOA

Good point, thanks.

7. W0BTU

W0BTU Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly why you should remove it, unless you want to play Russian Roulette with it and the shipping company.

Do you feel lucky? Well, do you? :)

8. N4KZ

N4KZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I successfully shipped an SB-200, 201 and AL-811H without removing the transformers. But I did remove the tubes and ship them separately. I used the box inside a box technique with lots of bubble wrap around the amps and styrofoam peanuts between the boxes. Shipped via FedEx and UPS and all arrived fine at their destinations.

73, N4KZ

9. W8JI

W8JI Ham Member QRZ Page

Tom,

NO, the transformer stays. The tubes can stay inside also if they are cushioned and held in place by a dense closed cell foam. What will ruin the tubes is falling out of the sockets and rolling around in the amp. If you can secure the tubes inside so they don't bang around, they are safer in the amp then outside the amp.

If you are unsure about holding the tubes in place by wrapping them in foam sheets, you need a very soft foam cushion with a lot of yield. I'd have at least three inches of low density closed cell foam shipping the tubes outside the amp. Maybe 1 pound per cu ft foam.

The proper packing for electronics is at least three inches available compression of proper yield material on all sides of the equipment. With an amp like the SB200, use something like 8-9 pound per cubic foot polyethelyne foam denisty. That's a pretty heavy foam.

If I were you, I would take the tubes out and take it all right to Fed-Ex or UPS and let THEM pack it all. Then if it gets screwed up from bad packing, they have to pay.

If you pack it, they will often blame damage on you. Make sure they cover the tubes.

73 Tom

10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Of course Heath shipped the transformer separately, because they shipped all the parts separately, as these were kits.:)

However I've never seen the need to remove the xfmr in an SB-200 or SB-220 for shipment and can't recall ever seeing a buckled/bent chassis due to the transformer weight, even after long distance shipping.

The whole amp needs to be packed very well to withstand a 30" drop on any surface. Pack it, then picture dropping it about three feet and picture what would happen. Once that picture looks really nice in your mind, it's probably packed right.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.