Shielding computers from high RF levels

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KI7WQH, May 17, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KI7WQH

KI7WQH Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello,

Beccause of space issues my computer is right next to my boat anchor FT-101 transceiver and I have had issues with both my monitor and my computer freaking out (losing video, rebooting etc) when I transmit. Is there a good way to shield my computer from the RF? Another thing to take into account is that this computer is getting wireless internet from my router in another room so I would have to allow the wifi antenna to be exposed - however, does that defeat the shielding? Would the HF RF just come in from the wifi antenna and cook my hardware anyway? Would love to hear any suggestions you might have, thanks!

-Steve

2. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

No it should not.

Where is your antenna located.

Does it do the same when using a dummy load ?

4. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Ferrites on all cables should help, including on computer and monitor power cords, and computer to monitor cable. You may need ferrites on both ends of each cable, as well as any interface cables.

KB4QAA likes this.
  5. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What is the antenna, and how far away? The radio chassis itself should not be radiating enough to cause RFI problems like that. There's probably a problem with a badly unbalanced antenna system causing common mode problems, or the antenna is just too close, or maybe a problem with the feedline or connectors.

6. KD0KZE

KD0KZE Ham Member QRZ Page

I had some issues like that a couple years ago and added ferrites and an MFJ RF isolator, but some symptoms still persisted. In the end, I found the culprit. The PL-259 connector from the coax to my G5RV ladder line was fairly corroded and needed to be re-soldered (it's outdoors). I did a proper job on that, all have had no issues since. So I'd definitely check all antenna connectors regardless of what else you do.