ad: ProAudio-1

Shay locomotives....beastly looking machines

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KL7AJ, Nov 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
  1. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

West Virginia's such a pretty place...too bad it's been such an economic basket case for so long. :(

K9ASE likes this.
  2. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Think about why that is.

3. N2EY

Not on railroads using modern equipment.

4. K1LKP

K1LKP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

ALL ABOARD........
    shay locomotive steamtrain.gif
    NEXT STOP
    QRZ HOME PAGE

K9ASE likes this.
  5. N2EY

They've been around a long long time. As other have stated - low speed, enormous pulling power. Shays also tend to have very short wheelbases, resulting in the ability to go around pretty sharp curves.

Not any more than other steam locos. Lots of moving parts!

If you think Shays are odd, look up Garratt locomotives:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garratt

----

Unfortunately, steam locomotives are so inefficient and maintenance-hungry that they had to be abandoned by US railroads - otherwise they'd have all gone bankrupt in the 1960s.

Then there were the gas turbine locomotives......UP was big on them, but as diesel-electric technology matured, the gas turbines couldn't compete.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Pacific_GTELs

----

The very best performing locos are electric - but the enormous capital cost of electrification limits the expansion of electrification in the USA. Sadly, we have less electrified mainline railroad track and route milage today than 70 years ago.

73 de Jim, N2EY

6. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I got one of these in my backyard.

When they fire up the old cog steam engine, we get smoke investigation reports from all over town. The "Cog" as it's called, ran for about 125 years before being shut down this year as they evaluate how to update the equipment got the next 50+ years. The main cars were diesels frome the 50's and 60's, but they still fire up the old Engine #4 now and then.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    N1OOQ and N0TZU like this.
  7. VK6ZGO

VK6ZGO Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember seeing an "Australian Standard Garratt" stopped just outside the old Mt Helena Railway station when I was about 6.

it was so weird looking, that over the years, I began to believe I had imagined such a thing, but a few years back, I picked up a book at the local library, & there was the very thing!

N2EY likes this.
  8. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi from Fish Camp and Sugar Pine Railroad!! Narrow gauge Shay's forever!

9. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting explanation of "The Real McCoy".
    What the Sam Hill did Sam Hill have to do with Stonehenge? Google it. Very interesting place.

10. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I read a very large book on the use and maintenance of steam engines, designed to train people to become a
    licensed RR mechanic.(??)

After seeing the problems of, and the maintenance needed on steam engines I wondered how they ever made it
    out of the roundhouse.

Tidbit: The early US railroads had to import the steel rails from the UK cause no factories here could make (extrude?) the rails.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo