Shay locomotives....beastly looking machines

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KL7AJ, Nov 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

K1LKP and N1OOQ like this.
  2. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I never understood the advantage.. More driving wheels?

3. KA5GEX

KA5GEX Ham Member QRZ Page

Kinda reminds me of my road-bicycling days and climbing mountains. Little chain ring in front, big cog in rear, steady RPM on the cranks, gasping for air, and rumbling up the mountain ever so slowly. Always made it to the top, but no speed merchant:D

K1XS likes this.
  4. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, most or all of the wheels are driven. Also it operates at a lower gear ratio than a standard engine. Very good for steep grades. Years ago I took a trip on a small scenic railroad in the mountains nearby that used Shays (Georgetown Loop Railroad).

KK4NSF and KK5JY like this.
  5. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

I finally visited Cass Scenic RR where they have a fine collection of Shay, Heisler, and Climax locomotives. Though Cass, WV is only 150 miles away as the crow flies, it took more than four hours to get there over twisty mountain roads.

6. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow! That's pretty nuts! Never seen one of those before.

I bet the "wheel-bearing-grease salesman" loves calling on the Shay rail yards!! :)

Dave
    W7UUU

K9ASE likes this.
  7. KL7AJ

Gobs more torque....at the sacrifice of speed. They usually top out at around 15 mph

KK4NSF likes this.
  8. KL7AJ

Locomotive greasers has a very lucrative and VERY full time job. (Hot box jockeys)

K9ASE and W7UUU like this.
  9. KL7AJ

10. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

The driveshaft design should also be much easier on the rails. The typical reciprocating direct drive you see on US engines has a side-effect, in which the wheels tend to "hammer" the rails, which increases wear and maintenance requirements. The torque should also be more even than on such a design.