Sharing my fan dipole installation

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by K1TGX, Dec 9, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. K1TGX

K1TGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There have been a couple of recent posts relating to fan dipoles or dipoles so fwiw I would like to share my simple installation.
    I use 4 elements in my fan: 80m, 75m, 40m and 20m. The total length is about 139'. My internal antenna tuner on my K3S is able to reasonably match it so I am able to operate on 80, 75, 40, 30, 20, 17, 15, 12 and 10 meters. If I want to use my solid state amp with its built in tuner I lose the phone portions of 40 and 10. Since I operate so little ssb I have made no effort to 'tune' the antenna further.

Make no mistake here, although I can match it that doesn't make it a monoband beam. That said I have worked over 240 countries in about 2-1/2 years of casual operating (I still work full time). For me its a great compromise antenna.

From the image you can see on one side I had to put 3/4" pvc spreaders because just letting them droop under one another (like I do on the other side) allowed them to blow in the wind into the trees. Too much burning of leaves and wire insulation caused crazy swr's. You will also see I use a dacron 'carrier'. It not only supports the balun in the center but the 80m element is tied to it. I aslo use a piece of dacron as a stress relief for the coax connector.

One end is tied off in a tree at about 70' and the other goes thru a pulley on my tower at 60'. There is ~40lbs of weight on that line near the ground. That puts the center about 55' up

upload_2018-12-9_13-43-53.png

WB5YUZ, N5AVF, WZ7U and 2 others like this.
  2. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

What gauge wire?

3. AE1N

AE1N Ham Member QRZ Page

It don't have to be pretty ... it only has to work!

4. K1TGX

14ga insulated

N7WR likes this.
  5. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

I want to see the ladder used to get that picture.

6. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

[​IMG]

WZ7U likes this.
  7. K1TGX

I'm a hero on my 120' tower with a climbing belt. I don't do ladders.

upload_2018-12-9_19-57-29.png

WZ7U likes this.