SHARI Pi HAT - ALLSTAR SA818 Radio Module For Raspberry Pi

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M0DQW, Sep 30, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

There seems to be a version on their website that plugs into a radio for high power levels.

2. N3HGB

Is it worth getting on?
    Any ideas of the activity level and sound quality? Is there an internet way to listen in?

3. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I really don't know at the moment. I am an Echolink user and run my own Echolink hotspot from home. When I became aware of AllStar, I applied for a node ID in anticipation of implementing it, but then learned that it is only implemented on Linux while my shack PC runs Windows. I know that AllStar will fire up on a Raspberry Pi and I have several of them available, but it would require some rewiring of the shack and I have not made time to do that yet.

I believe that you can join the AllStar network with just a PC - no need for a radio at all - but that is not the way I like to operate.

Martin (G8FXC)

4. N3HGB

I just wanted to see if I thought it was worth setting up a node before I bought the equipment. I too do not want to be a PC op ;)

5. G8FXC

Well, you can see the network activity here : http://stats.allstarlink.org/ - there are more than 5000 nodes active world-wide. Many have only one or two connected users, but others are showing more than a hundred connections.

I shall try it out - primarily because the repeater close to where we keep our boat has recently linked to it and this would give me a route to talk to friends who are out of range from our house. As I said above, the thing that has held me back is it being only available on Linux. Do bear in mind that, like Echolink, it will be DTMF controlled so don't bother unless you have a radio with decent DTMF functionality.

Martin (G8FXC)

6. N3HGB

If I make a node, you'll be in range of my boat too if this works the way I think it does.

7. G8FXC

Indeed!

Martin G8FXC

8. W0JAY

W0JAY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I been trying to order one for over a week now. But seems they dont check there email to much or they just dont wanna sell me one. Not sure what. Looks like a great product tho. Be nice to get one on the air.

9. N5AQM

N5AQM Ham Member QRZ Page

There is typically a 4 week backlog. This is a mom and pop business and demand is very high as well as component availability issues. There are great nets on various nodes pretty much all day long. Mostly social nets but several tech nets every week. Audio is way better than DMR and I never have a problem finding somebody to talk to. I usually check into 3-4 nets daily. This past Feb I was introduced to it and now I have 4 nodes. :) 2 homebrew, a Shari and a micro-node international nano-ae. My DMR nodes are on line but don't get much use since I discovered Allstar.

Many if not all of these nets are available on Echolink as well.

-Mike

10. G8FXC

It is a shame. I emailed a question and got a response quite quickly, followed up with another question and have not received a response in several days. I also tried their support forum on Groups.IO - I signed up and submitted a question there which is still awaiting moderator approval several days later...

Martin (G8FXC)