ad: vanity

Share your thoughts on YOUR CAT software

Discussion in 'Rig Control, Propagation, Cluster, & Other Softwar' started by N4MU, Jun 4, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

I am about to plunk down some cash for CAT software. Before I do I would like to make sure I've covered my bases by sampling several. I have one in mind; just don't want to buy it until I am reasonably sure there aren't any others that would better suit my needs. Only need the CAT functions (Yaesu equipment). Thanks for opinions and insights!

2. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

If you ONLY need CAT functions, then I would recommend going with the Commander software from the DXLab Suite. Unless you're using some really unusual rig, Commander should support it just fine. Best of all is the price: free!

3. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks. I've given it a cursory look and think I'll try it when I get going with the project. I use FT-450D and FT-991A.
    Got to be some more out there...

4. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Flrig is also free and can control a lot of rigs, but may or may not work depending upon what you want. But, it is Open Source and cross-platform, so is a good choice for many tasks.

if you're willing to spend money, then Ham Radio Deluxe, CommCat and other are out there, but most are combo-software: CAT+logbook, usually. Both Flrig and DXLabs Commander are stand-alone yet expandable with add-on software, and both are free.

5. AA6YQ

AA6YQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

K3DCW likes this.
  6. KD2NOM

KD2NOM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use flrig to control my FT-450D and it does a superb (and free) job of it.