ad: ProAudio-1

Share your FD pics....

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AE1P, Jun 26, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
  1. N8KC

N8KC Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes.. hinged base on tower trailer which has leveling outriggers. Sections assemble quickly with clevis pins.. tower/antenna raised into position with electric winch, steel cable, and fulcrum pole. Once up, guyed with steel. Original boat trailer/tower trailer design by W8DFG (sk) and refined by N8KLX, who also loaned us the Hexbeam & rotor. Trailer is quite heavy (W8DFG was a steel supplier/fabricator).. guys are probably overkill, but we've had some very high winds in the past, so use them as insurance against damage. RV is my latest "project".. lot's of work's gone into it since it's purchase late last year (It's a 2003 Georgie Boy 35). QTH is N8MCD's farm.. Peacocks, Deer, Guinea Hens all over the place.

AE1P, KK5JY and WZ7U like this.
  2. K7VZ

K7VZ Ham Member QRZ Page

My 5 year old son made 14 contacts between the Scottsdale ARC (4x4 Ham GOTA) site and nearby friends K7RTM site. We were able to capture a few of the contacts on video. Evan is looking forward to dominating ARRL Field Day 2018.

AE1P, W7JZE and N2EY like this.
  3. K1OIK

K1OIK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I didn't allow my 8 year old daughter on the air until, she had her license , she bought her own rig (HW-101) after negotiating her price at a hamfest and until she knew how to do her own contacts without any help and certainly not help with almost every word. Later she operated W1AW. Was I too demanding? She is now an adult earning far more than I ever have.

4. K7VZ

K7VZ Ham Member QRZ Page

He asked us if he could use the radio. He wanted to. I didn't force him to do anything he didn't want to do. Yes, I provided extensive voice coaching, but good grief, he's 5 years old and much of it was my excitement at how well he was doing. Nobody would watch a 72 hour video, but he spent the rest of the weekend bragging about his contacts, socializing with everyone else at camp, and playing with rocks and sticks in the forest like any other boy should be doing.

W7JZE and N2EY like this.
  5. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

Sadly I didn't participate in Field Day this year. We drove home that Saturday from vacation and Sunday I still didn't feel like going anywhere. Next year, though, I plan to be there.

6. K1OIK

There is no reason to believe your forced your 5 year old to do anything. I am curious if your 5 year old wanted to drive your car if you, "provided extensive ..coaching", would you allow him? My daughter also wanted to use the radio but I told her, no license, you don't get to use it, this is called discipline. Thus she studied. passed two amateur exams with code. I also required her to use her own money for a rig. I also required her to eat her dinner before dessert. I was a mean parent, wasn't I?

W6NYA and N6QIC like this.
  7. AB8MA

AB8MA Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry @K7VZ.

You have just been Burted. His daughter was better than your 5 year old, don't ya know.

8. K1OIK

I knew you would not be far behind. My daughter at age 8 was better than a 5 year old, I am hoping his 5 year old will be better than my daughter and if he wants, gets a license at age 7, although the test is easier now, no code is required.

N6QIC likes this.
  9. WF4W

WF4W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

10. AB8MA

AB8MA Subscriber QRZ Page