Share your FD pics....

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AE1P, Jun 26, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: l-gcopper
  1. AE1P

AE1P XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just as title says, share some of your FD pics...
    here are some from our FD site, AD1T, in Keene NH.
    WX was better than expected, and bands were pleasantly open
    to most of USA...
    Neil
    AE1P DSC_0250 (Large).JPG DSC_0381 (Large).JPG DSC_0388 (Large).JPG DSC_0509 (Large).JPG IMG_1590 (Large).JPG IMG_1592 (Large).JPG IMG_1595 (Large).JPG IMG_1626 (Large).JPG

K7VZ, WZ7U, WB5THT and 11 others like this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Wowsers!!! Might as well close the thread after all of that :)

BEAUTIFUL pictures, in a beautiful place! Kudos on the setup, and the photos.

I will post some this week from the W7DK effort but for now, looking at your photos is just fine :)

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN and K9ASE like this.
  3. AE1P

AE1P XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks Dave...
    Tried to shrink the pics...I'm obviously much better at radio than photo editing...
    (That's the wife's job, she's the one who got her pic on cover of QST!)

Look forward to your pics, that is why I started thread... :)

K9ASE and W7JZE like this.
  4. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Mobile, lakeside, solar-powered, weather warm but not too hot, lots of CW, great chicken strips for dinner... just about right. :)

upload_2017-6-25_21-34-45.png upload_2017-6-25_21-37-4.png

K7VZ, WB5THT, K7WFM and 1 other person like this.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Shrink them?! They're BEAUTIFUL Neil!

:)

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN, K9ASE, KK5JY and 1 other person like this.
  6. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

That's really Keene! ;)

K9ASE and AE1P like this.
  7. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Our local ARC after setup.....
    coney5k-1-web.jpg

I operated 1E with my modern CW transmitter...
    1.png

My antenna was a 130 foot pine tree:
    DSC_2966.jpg

And I worked so much CW I have to rest my finger for a week.
    broken-finger-splint.jpg
    Will cut down on my nose prospecting and my Muslim preaching.

K7WFM, K6CLS, KA4DPO and 5 others like this.
  8. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

9. W4IOA

W4IOA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

10. W7JZE

W7JZE QRZ Lifetime Member #84 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Okey Dokey. Pictures it IS. :D

Well, this was my 4th "Backyard Field Day". I had a blast (again) :). This year my 17 y.o. grandson came over on Friday and helped me with my prep. He stayed the whole weekend and helped with the setup and teardown too! What a guy! Huge help!

This year the heat in the Phoenix valley was (again) extreme for the Field Day weekend. More about that below...

01-Friday Field Day Prep With Grandson Alex-IMG_0071.jpg

He was MUCH faster than me with Pythagorean triangle math and in no-time he / we had a guy-line-diagram for the 40 meter inverted vee I wanted to build and temporarily raise in my HOA (very) restricted community :eek:.

02-A Little Math For 40 Meter 100 Degree Invereted Vee-IMG_0070 - Copy.JPG

We laid it out full size in my house Friday night before, and cut and attached all of the guy lines as well as the wide-band "Horse Fence" dipole at that time (I love my Horse Fence :p). Saturday morning we laid it out in the backyard...

03-Laying Out The 28 Foot Tall Mast For 40 Meter Inverted Vee Antenna-IMG_0075.jpg

A 24 foot paint pole, a 1 foot (black handled :eek: ) paint roller extension at the top :D, and a 3 foot PVC riser at the bottom. 28 feet total. UP IT GOES!

04-Raising 40 Meter Inverted Vee Antenna-Alex-20170624_150327.jpg

(Above) Quite a ^^ sight ^^ from the road along my back property line. I pre-notified most of my neighbors, but about a dozen or so cars (that I noticed), slowed down, or stopped, or took pictures. Can't wait for the HOA letter to show up :eek:.

(Below) I added another Renology 100 watt suitcase charger system again this year for a total of three, now. They keep the rotating four 35 Ah batteries topped off, to power the Field Day station, and the 12 VDC fans, for 24 hours. Simple & quick to setup. Needs a little (important) care to make sure that a battery is connected to the charge controller before exposing the PV cells to sunlight.

08-Three Renology 100 Watt Suitcase Solar Charger Systems With 35 AH Batteries-IMG_0085.jpg

The 120+ degree heat (In the SHADE) prompted me and my grandson to pre-build a 12 VDC "Ice Chest Air Cooler" (Thank you SUE! AF6LJ) Friday night before Field Day started.

05-12VDC Ice Cooler Air Conditioning For Field Day 2017-MG_0091.jpg

Next year we will try dry-ice to get the output temp lower than the ~85 degree output we experienced using frozen milk jugs inside of the cooler. Also might add some inside baffling to force more of the hot air over the cold ice.

06-120 Degrees In The Shade-IMG_0093.JPG

Then a dip in the neighbor's (91 degree) pool to "cool" off before operating began.

07-121 Degree Field Station Assembed Now A Dip In Neighbors Pool-IMG_0082.jpg

Finally some Field Day operating!!! Had a huge amount of fun! One battery ran the Icom 7000 and a separate 35 Ah battery ran the fans and ice-chest-air-cooler.

09-Finally Some Field Day OPs-IMG_0096.jpg

The heat, in the shade, actually topped out at 124 degrees, under my covered patio. In the direct sunlight, at the top of the painter's pole, with the black plastic handled antenna support, I don't know how hot it got. I know it got hot enough to bend over and threaten to melt away its support! I'm thankful it didn't melt all the way through and bring the whole inverted vee crashing down :eek:!

10-Atop Paint Pole Paint Roller Antenna Mount Melts-IMG_0120.jpg

More...

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    K7VZ, WZ7U, WB5THT and 10 others like this.