Shaker Heights passes cell phone ban

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by KD8NGE, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. KD8NGE

KD8NGE Ham Member QRZ Page

Shaker Heights, Ohio, just passed a cell phone ban.
    Here is the link to their FAQ that -- if I read it correctly -- specifies cell phones and text messaging devices.
    Ham radio would seem not to be covered by this legislation.
    (Caveat -- I am not a lawyer, nor is this free advice. Just spotted it tonight and wanted to pass it along. As Paul Harvey said, "For what it's worth.")
    Link:
    http://shakeronline.com/faq/category/72-police

2. W1GUH

W1GUH Ham Member QRZ Page

I was under the impression that bans on cell phone use while driving were close to universal these days. I stand corrected. Thanks.

How anyone can think that using a cell phone while driving is acceptable is beyond me or at least a testimonial to...something. I'm pretty sure that many, many of us have had the nasty experience of being totally ignored while someone else is deeply involved in a personal telephone call (finger raised) simply because the offending person doesn't know how to say, "Excuse me a minute" to whoever is being talked to. When in a telecon, some people are completely oblivious to anything else going on around them. Happens all the time on public transportation.

Hands free or not, a lot of people are incapable of safe, defensive driving while in a telephone conversation, and seem completely unaware of the danger they're creating for themselves and others.

OTOH, I've never been in a mobile QSO where it was that kind of distraction. It's common to hear, "I'm running into some traffic or other situation so I'll be QRT for a while." That has seemed to be SOP for mobile operation.

3. WJ4U

WJ4U Ham Member QRZ Page

What's amazing is I still see people all the time juggling a cellphone while steering their car in traffic!

4. AG6JU

AG6JU Ham Member QRZ Page

cell phone are so complicated now. they do not even have key pad anymore. perhaps if simpler like it was in 1990's , they would not have to pass such law. at least cordless telephone still have key pad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.