ad: portazero-1

Shack lost (Sort of) to Flood

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by W3KW, May 31, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. W3KW

W3KW Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Ever have that feeling of soggy feet after walking through your own house in socks? Well, trust me, it’s number two for us and not a good feeling at all. Turns out our gutter guards are not really guarding anything. A down spout clogged, heavy rains filled the gutter over my shack, the water found a low point in the gutter and that happened to be the far window well in the pic below. 5 years of tinker stuff, book shelves, work benches, 5 radios, resto projects under way, home computer, etc., all safe but needed to be removed for remediation. 2 full days of work to get to the point in the photo. Adjuster comes Tuesday. Carpet and walls likely need to come out. Might be able to save it. We’ll see. Servpro next I guess. Ugh. Physically looks ok, but still soaked.

upload_2021-5-30_19-48-52.jpeg

Before:

upload_2021-5-30_19-50-7.jpeg

Well, the good news is a hefty shack clean out and the opportunity for more planning and organization.

Wes
    W3KW

2. WA9FZB

WA9FZB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been through two similar floods at my place of work. It is a mess, but most can be salvaged if the water was only a couple of inches deep. They have a way of measuring how deep it got, then they cut the drywall horizontally about 2 feet above the high-water mark. They can then dry out the studs and replace the wallboard. Carpeting may be able to be dried and disinfected/deodorized, or you may choose to replace it. The baseboard heat is a different issue -- one with which I have no experience, as the building where I work is mostly factory, and even the office areas have overhead forced air heat.

Do be sure they bring in the massive dehumidifiers and run them for a week or two prior to effecting repairs. That will help get things back to a normal relative humidity level. They may also be able to spray a mold remediation solution to keep mold from forming.

One other thing to watch out for is moisture/humidity in your electronics. See if you can get them all into an area with one of the huge dehumidifiers running for a few days or longer. When our factory flooded a few years back, for the next year or so we had numerous unexplained electronic failures due to the accumulated humidity in the electronics of the factory machinery and network servers and hardware.

I've had similar "wet socks" in our basement several times over the 40 years we've lived here. Stepping off that last stair into the basement puts your stomach into free-fall for sure. Hang in there. It is a bugger of a lot of work, but this, too, shall pass.

W3KW likes this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Very sorry to hear :( That really sucks

But at least now you have a chance to really redo things to your liking.

Nice radio collection, BTW.

Dave
    W7UUU

WB5THT and W3KW like this.
  4. KN4SMF

KN4SMF Ham Member QRZ Page

Too many VF-1's. I'll take the ruined one. But neither one is ruined. Nothing else looks ruined either. You'll be OK. just an annoying nuisance. Be glad it wasn't a tsunami or a tornado. Then everything would have REALLY been torn up. It taught you an important lesson about being a packrat. Nobody needs 4 or 5 pieces of the same gear. I like gear too. But having multiple copies of the same gear make you a collector packrat. Never collect more that you can actually use. It just creates worries about the situation you just had, and it makes it hard on the family when you die, which comes soon enough. I'm actually glad I saw the error of my ways and reduced to only what I can handle and use. My rule is, if I don't use it at least once in a year, out it goes to somebody who really wants one and can't afford it or find it.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
  5. W3KW

Agreed on all accounts. The issue is I love to tinker so had been buying project gear during Covid. My plan is to keep maybe one...of all/some of... the best gear, then liquidate the rest and repeat. I’m not trying to make money, just support the tinker habit and break even...ish. Shipping rigs is awful business and hamfests have been shut down, so no outlets for selling. I’m going for two hamfests this summer hopefully. New Jersey and Harrisburg. If there is pent up demand and I can move a bunch of gear, I’ll move on to the normal routine of buy, learn, repair/upgrade, use a bit, then sell. Break-even, or not. I have way too much gear and it does weigh on me.

I did this same routine the winter before Covid and was able to sell all the gear that spring. I used eBay for that cycle of selling and eBay made more money than anyone.

Thanks for the thoughtful input.

Wes

6. W3KW

Update:

Looks like we got off easy. It wasn’t the foundation but a window sill where the water intruded. The foundation definitely weeps moisture, but it’s an old house. No stopping Father Time on that issue. ServePro is going to replace the pad, restore carpet, and insulate and sheet rock the wall. Hopefully, the insurance company will budget for a replacement window.

upload_2021-6-1_9-36-58.jpeg

7. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

HI WES,

SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT THIS TERRIBLE MATTER.

THREE CHEERS FOR SERVPRO....... BRAVO......

IT MIGHT HELP TO RUN SOME FANS IN THE AREA
    TO STOP THE SPREAD OF MOLD.

73 - K1LKP

8. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

OFF TOPIC

WES, I JUST VIEWED YOUR QRZ PAGE AND WANT TO SAY THANK YOU FOR
    THE WONDERFUL TRIBUTE TO

W3KW - BOB GLEASON.

BACK IN JAN. 01, 1998 I HAD A WONDERFUL QSO WID BOB GLEASON DURING THE
    ARRL STRAIGHT KEY NITE.

HERE ARE SOME NOTES FROM THAT STRAIGHT KEY QSO WID BOB.

W3KW - BOB WAS FIRST LICENSED IN 1923 AND HIS CALL WAS "7OY"

HE USED TO COME OUT TO KEENE NEW HAMPSHIRE FOR THE SUMMERS.

THEY USED TO GO TO LAKE SPOFFORD.

HE WAS IN THE AIR FORCE IN WW2.

BOB'S AGE IS 91.

BOB DID A SUPER JOB WITH HIS FIST.

W3KW ROBERT GLEASON.jpg

GOD REST HIS SOUL

RESPECTFULLY,

W3KW likes this.