SGC-Smart antenna tuner system question

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KA7RRA, Apr 18, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KA7RRA

KA7RRA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a FT-857D in my mobile with a ATAS-120 antenna. my ham friends are now suggesting that I switch to a SGC smart tuner and a 9 foot whip antenna.

SO if you are using a SGC smart antenna tuner,with a 9 foot whip for mobile use how do you like it?

thanks for any information you can give me

Dave
    KA7RRA

2. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

I do not own either, but the ATAS is very inefficient. The SGC tuner is very smart & the 9' whip will give much more Effective Radiated Power.
    On 20 meters, you chould get about 1-2 S units. 40 meters probably 2-3 S units.
    Just guessing here.
    The ATAS are known for horrible efficiency.

Ed

3. AA4PB

AA4PB Ham Member QRZ Page

I use an SG-237 tuner along with an SGC whip on my pick up. It works well and, once memories have been recorded, will tune on any frequency in about 1 second. The key with these tuners is that you MUST use a single wire feed between the tuner and the base of the whip. That wire should be as short as possible and spaced as far away from conductive surfaces as possible. NEVER use any coax feed line between the tuner and the base of the whip. That can make installation very challenging on an enclosed vehicle like a car. It was easy on my pick up because I could mount the whip on the rear of the bed rail and the tuner on the inside wall of the bed, only about a foot away. That made it easy to use a short (1 foot) single wire between the tuner and the whip while keeping it well spaced away from the metal bed.

The benefit of the SGC whip is that it has a spiral wound (linear loaded) conductor for the lower frequencies and a single conductor up the center for the higher frequencies. The down-side is that it is expensive.

4. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

i have the sg 230 and the 2 piece whip. have a good mount on the spare on a hummer h3. never did much with the sg230 or with a icom tuner with that sg whip.
    sg230 inside on a random wire is terrific..
    for the money,no impressed with the whip...

5. N4MTB

N4MTB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have used my SGC-235 on long wires and loops. Tunes fast and is rugged, even in the FL sun. I plan on taking it MM.

6. M0GVZ

M0GVZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I can confirm this. Just look at this video I did showing the improvement on WWV on 30m band changing the stock 32" whip on a little Tarheel II for longer ones.

KA7RRA likes this.
  7. KC9ONY

KC9ONY Ham Member QRZ Page

Slightly off-topic, but I haven't seen Allen K0BG reply to a mobile antenna post in a long time.

8. WA0LSS

WA0LSS Ham Member QRZ Page

The 235 is an amazing tuner, (can handle 500 watts) but needs a 300' wire for 160 (per the manual). If you aren't running QRO the SG230 would be a better choice. Oh, and if you ever want to sell the 235 let me know <grin>. WA├śLSS /MM

K0UO likes this.