ad: elecraft

SGC SG-2020

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by WX5DL, Aug 3, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. WX5DL

WX5DL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I inherited SG2020 from my brother and it works great except for one problem: I can't seem to reduce power to qrp levels. The manual says to hold the "cmd" & "nb" then use main dial (vfo) to select from 0 to 20 watts. I followed these instructions, reducing the power number to "1" but when transmitting cw, the measured output was still more than 20w. I even did the "reset to factory settings but I still cannot reduce power. I emailed SGC but they replied that they no longer support that radio. Everything else works as it should and I get good signal and audio reports on ssb & cw. Any help with this issue will be welcome!

2. KK7EL

KK7EL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have never seen or operated a 2020, but was very interested for awhile when they first came out. Here is a guess: the key sequences are working....to reduce SSB power. Try setting mode to CW before you run thru the procedure to reduce power. I bet it remembers SSB and CW power levels separately. Good luck.

N7EKU likes this.
  3. WX5DL

WX5DL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks Bruce, i tried that & you are correct. Power levels can be set seperately for each mode and each memory location. Howerver, try as I might, I still can't seem to actually reduce power. The display on the radio shows a lower number but, in actuality, it is still putting out full power. This radio has some quirks but overall, it's a good rig. I was hoping someone with a lot of personal experience with this radio would respond and set me straight but so far, no luck. I do appreciate you input though. I can use all the help I can get.

There were several firmware updates and I'm not sure which I have. It is possible that the instructions i have don't match the revision # of the radio. This radio is #7785 and is a non-dsp unit.

4. KB7MM

KB7MM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello I own and operate 2 SGC 2020's and MAC 200's in two different locations. I really like and enjoy operating them.. As you say press "cmd" & "nb" turn the dial to the wanted power out... Then press MEM works every time. Both of mine according to the watt meter that I have... when I dial up for 1 watt and turn it an bit more down I put out 750 milwatt and then a bit past the the 25 it puts out 27 watts. I hope the last forever, I hope the inside is a well built as the out side..... With the SGC MAC 200 you can operate on all bands with a whip antenna.

I have no idea about firmware updates. The radio did not come out needing firmware updates. They came out starting in 1996 and stopped production in 2005 and I'm not sure but I don't think we started doing upate to radio firmware for a few more years. neither of my 2 units have no been modified for the computer connection (USB cable) or a RS 232 cable..

WX5DL likes this.