SGC ADSP2

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KA4DPO, Oct 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

A while back, I bought an SGC ADSP2 board at the Dayton Hamvention.  My original plan was to use it with an older ICOM rig that I have but I decided to do something different.  The ADSP that I purchased is the high power model with a 5 watt audio amp on board.  I installed it in an old Heathkit SP-600 speaker cabinet and brought all of the controls out to the front panel.  The push button switches that come with the unit are pretty small so I replaced them with something I can get my fat fingers on without hitting both at once.  By adding a 4 PDT relay I can use the speaker in stand alone mode or switch in the DSP as needed.  This makes a nice portable system that gives me state of the art ADSP for any of my older radios.  I am presently using it with a Kenwood TS-520S and it works great.  Since the Kenwood doesn’t have a notch filter I simply switch on the DSP and away go the annoying carriers, noise, etc.  This chip also gives you three discreet bandwidths for SSB and CW.  I can’t say if it’s better than the Clear Speech or other ADSP systems on the market but it sure works great on my older rigs.  If you want to improve the performance of an older radio I highly recommend the SGC ADSP2 for the purpose.  Lastly, I initially had a problem with the original board.  I contacted the folks at SGC and they were extremely nice.  The customer service I received from them was excellent and I would recommend them to anyone.

KA4DPO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.