Setup question on TH-D74A with DSTAR

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by W1ZRZ, Apr 22, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. W1ZRZ

W1ZRZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hopefully I can make myself clear on this. I am new to DSTAR and digital all together. Been using nothing but cheap Chinese radios for local 2m only up until now. I purchased a TH-D74 and have been loving it! I do not find it to be complex or complicated. I have had no issue with programming it to do all my repeaters. I have APRS functioning and am on the map! Pretty cool stuff!
    THen I come to DSTAR. I believe I have it mostly correct. I am registered:

W1ZRZ has been approved on: REGIST (on 2020-04-15 19:21:26)
    W1ZRZ has terminals that are registered on: REGIST

I am wondering if the issue is strictly distance to the repeater or something else. I am in the Raleigh, NC area and I am about 9.3 miles away from the repeater. I have tried with the default antenna, I have a tactical antenna and I have a dipole in my attic. I can hit all the repeaters in that area for my local nets. When I scan stations, I do not hear anything. Every so often the scan will stop and I will see the light for Rx Meter will be 579, but I do not hear anything. I then press the monitor button and can hear loud and clear. I know that the monitor is to let you hear weak signals, but these do not sound weak at all and the meter goes to 9 on the signal.

I should also mention that I have this even with squelch off.

Would love any tips or thoughts. I am wondering if I am just going to have to lay out the cash for a hotspot.

W1ZRZ
    Kerry

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  2. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I do not have a D74, but what I do know about D-Star repeaters is that there are many fewer in existence than what show up on dstarinfo.com, repeaterbook, or rfinder.

Of the 12 D-Star repeaters listed around me, only 4 are actually on the air.

3. K8HIT

K8HIT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Check DStarusers.org for the reapeater you wish to monitor.

If it's active, you'll see who is using it.

We keep adding DStar repeaters in Michigan. 2 last year, one this year so far. Coldwater is listed, but not active, all the others are active.

4. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Check that the repeater is on the air by pressing PTT. That will send your call sign and the repeater should echo it. Watch the D74 screen,you should see you call sign, tiny letters on the top of the screen.

5. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder about Ham DIGI voice systems. ....
    I worked in two way radio shops before I retired ,
    So you want to talk to your workers in the field ? Buy some radios, ?
    SO, you had to buy the radios from a dealer who then programmed the codes to get on his system. Dealer had to add your radio's codes to his system to allow them on it, and you had to rent time for your radios to get in communications with them.

So you have to join the ham organization that owns the repeater , Pay your Dues, they have to assign you codes, ....etc, etc....
    Sounds like commercial radio to me. :eek:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  6. K8HIT

K8HIT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

But this is free, never needs renewal, and isn't tied to a specific piece of equipment. It's not repeater specific, you can register on any repeater. Sounds less and less commercial now. ;)

7. W1ZRZ

W1ZRZ Ham Member QRZ Page

yes, I don't seem to get anything back. I am pretty sure I am just too far to get there. I ordered a MMDVM hotspot. That should allow me to get on the system once that arrives and I get it set up.

Thanks for the advice.
    Kerry