Setup FLDIGI w/HRD

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by AC2MM, Jun 3, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

That would be a first. Did You setup win 10 device permissions ?

You should be careful when letting two software programs control your transmitter.
    You could find your radio in continuous transmit when not expected. :oops:

Good Luck.

2. KC9YGN

KC9YGN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Trying to use FLDIGI at the same time as HRD is going to be virtually impossible. Both want exclusive control over the com port necessary to communicate with the transceiver.

3. KA9JLM

Even if you could, Why would someone want to ???

I must be missing something. :confused:

I can assist with repair of blown finals, Clif may help too. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    KC9YGN likes this.
  4. W5DXP

W5DXP Ham Member QRZ Page

5. AC2MM

AC2MM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"Even if you could, Why would someone want to".
    HRD and FlDigi are not competing programs. HRD is a rig control program, while FlDigi is a communication program utilizing a bunch of different modes, the same way that WSJT-X is a communication program also, using HRD to control the radio.

Here's a bit of logic that keeps me thinking this is a simple fix.
    I'm using the HRD with my 590S for rig control via the USB port.

Another communication program, WSJT-X, uses some method of using the HRD port control to allow it to TX and RX. Don't forget, WSJT-X simply has one checkbox that is labeled "HRD". When I first set this up, that's all I had to do . Everything worked perfect, none of the usual Baud rate, RTS/DTS, flow control, etc, etc to get WSJT-X to work properly. So it's piggybacking on the HRD control of the port.

If I can figure out how WSJT-X is handling this in the background , FlDigi should be able to do the same. Occam's Razor. Whatever is the simplest answer is usually the correct one.

I have joined the Fldigi users group, as well as the WSJT users group. I'm hoping for a solution from there I hope.

6. KC9YGN

You can't compare FLDIGI with WSJT. Just because one works with HRD doesn't mean they both will. WSJT has code written into it to specifically interface with HRD. FLDIGI does not. When linked to HRD, WSJT gives up control of the comport to HRD and sends commands to change frequency, etc. to HRD, and HRD in turn then controls the transceiver.

FLDIGI has no such code built into it. It was not written to work with HRD and does not have the code necessary to link with it. WSJT does.

7. KC9YGN

I think he wants to keep HRD running so he can control his beam antenna and maybe rig control while using FLDIGI for actually transmitting digital. About the only way he could do that is shut off FLDIGI's cat control completely, shut off it's PTT capabilities and maybe use VOX to key the transmitter.

8. AC2MM

AC2MM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

KC9YGN,
    I got your reply, and I don't disagree. I'm not sure what language WSJT was programmed in, but if it's C or C++, I even thought about finding out how they did that. FlDigi does have a "Checkbox", similar to WSJT, but for HamLib.

Barring that, a much simpler route would to find someone who has HRD running using the USB port on their radio and also needs FlDigi for the same purposes I do. There has to be someone out there, but most likely they don't monitor these threads.
    That's why I'm trying to get into the Fldigi Yahoo group and hopefully find that "someone".

If I find an answer, I'll repost it here.

9. KA9JLM

Contact info for FLDIGI

Programmers:
    Dave Freese, W1HKJ
    Stelios Bounanos, M0GLD
    Leigh Klotz, WA5ZNU
    Remí Chateauneu, F4ECW

10. N4MIT

N4MIT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

FLdigi needs to use HRD rig control the same way that WSJT-x does... but it doesnt so you cant have HRD rig control running when using FLdigi. You can have HRD log running without rig control but FLdigi doesn't send logs to it. The two are just not made to work together. That is a shame as DM780 sucks.