Setup FLDIGI w/HRD

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by AC2MM, Jun 3, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
  1. AC2MM

AC2MM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi guys,
    I've been using HRD now for awhile, and it's working OK.
    I have to set up FLDIGI though for a mode that HRD does not have.

All my stuff is set up and sync'd using the USB port, 9600 baud, including the SteppIR Controller. Everything works peachy. WSJT-X works fine also, no problems. (with HRD running)

I have followed the Kenwood 590S Digital FLDIGI How-To instructions, along with FlDigi instructions, and I can't seem to get it to control the rig.

I've tried it with HRD running, and without.
    I've tried it with the DM-780 Digital program running, and without.
    It's receiving fine, but no transmit. (I'm using the same COM port that HRD is using)

Years ago, I started with DigiPan (and later FlDigi ) using my TS-530S,, it worked fine, no frills, but it worked.
    So I even tried that today for troubleshooting, and it gave a strange message "Sound Card is in use or does not exist". Hmmm...

When I last used FLDIGI with this new equipment/computer setup, I was using my ACC2 port with a SignLink Soundcard, which worked fine until I bought HRD, and realized the TS-590S had its own sound card, which HRD uses.

Somebody must have had this same problem, can you help?

Thanks,
    Robert

2. W5DXP

W5DXP Ham Member QRZ Page

If you want rig control, download and install FLRig. The last Windows 10 update messed up the sound card settings on lots of PCs. Sorry, I don't know anything about the TS-590S.

3. AC2MM

I already did, same problem.
    I need someone that uses HRD and FLDIGI to know how they did it.
    The last Win10 update didn't affect my soundcard operation at all.

4. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

5. AC2MM

Already have that, but it's a bit outdated, 6 years old.
    Didn't help.
    To clarify this, this is not a general setup question. I've been through all this stuff.

This is specifically an HRD/Fldigi setup question, because HRD takes possession of the port, and FlDigi does NOT have an HRD switch or checkbox for TX.
    Once again, I need someone running Fldigi with HRD.

6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Look to make sure HRD does not start the service that takes the port on bootup.

Windows "system configuration" will list boot files. Make sure HRD is not on the list.

There should be a tab setting in HRD that lets you tell it not to load the background service on computer startup.

Good Luck.

7. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, don't that that is possible. One or the other. That's the way I do it.

8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly.

No go both at the same time.

Why would a person need to run both at the same time ?

9. AC2MM

Well, I'm having a good ole' time here...
    I can't get Fldigi to work at all except receive.
    Same with FlRig. When I was running FlDigi before, I never had to use FlRig, but I was using the ACC2 port, not the USB port, and the SignaLink external sound card, not the bui8lt in sound card.
    HRD still works fine using the USB port, and since WSJT-X works fine using that same port with HRD running (DM-780 not running of course), FlDigi *should* also be made to work I would think with HRD running, just as WSJT-X does.
    I'm using HRD just to control the port, Logger, and the SteppIR antenna.
    There's got to be a way to get that to run alongside HRD.
    Do you guys know anywhere I could ask that might be more specific about this topic?

The other possibility is to ask HRD support to help configure the 590S to use the SignaLink on the ACC2 port. Then getting FlDigi to work should be easier.
    Just thinking...

10. KB2WVO

KB2WVO Ham Member QRZ Page

does the radio have to be set to VOX. you say built in sound card. iam thinkin computer sound card so you goin to mic with the 3.5m plug