Setting up Wiring

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by K0BWN, Jul 22, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: abrind-2
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K0BWN

K0BWN Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm new to this..... I'm setting up my 220V circuit for an ACOM 1010. I'm sure it ways this somewhere, but I'm just not finding it: How many Amps is the ACOM 1010 going to draw? As in: As long as I'm running a new circuit, how many Amps should I prepare for?
    Many thanks,

2. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

If you are stringing wire, you might as well use 12 gauge, and a 20 amp service breaker.
    The A1010 will likely peak at around 6 amps from a 240 volt line.

3. KL2WX

KL2WX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you're going through the trouble of a 240v circuit you might as well do at least 30A in my opinion.

K4PP, KP4SX and N0TZU like this.
  4. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

5. W4HWD

W4HWD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm sure the info you seek can be found in the manual that came with the amplifier.

N4FZ likes this.
  6. N7VGO

N7VGO Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with the 12 gauge wire and the 20 amp breaker. I gives you room to upgrade down the road. Be sure to use the proper outlet!

N4FZ likes this.
  7. K0BWN

K0BWN Ham Member QRZ Page

Many thanks to all. The 12 ga. 20Amp ought to do it. I appreciate the voices.

8. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

No offense, but if you have to ask here about proper wiring, you probably should get a licensed electrician to do the work. While even line voltage @ a nominal 120 Volts +/- (in the U.S.) is nothing to play with, 240 Volts is even LESS forgiving. This is no place for a DIY "cut the corners" project.

As to the power (i.e., current draw @ 240 Volts) for the amp itself, that SHOULD be in the original manual for the amp. (And just as a comment, other than in heavy industry, I have NEVER seen "30 Ampere" service for 240 Volts, [certainly not in a typical residence.] THAT would require special outlets and wiring, typically :eek:10 AWG wire! A 20 Ampere service with a 20 Ampere circuit breaker should be more than enough using 12 AWG wire [and is expensive enough the way it is!:(])

KB0MNM, WA4ILH and N4FZ like this.
  9. W7HV

W7HV Ham Member QRZ Page

By all means do it right and do it "by the book". That said, it's not difficult and I have and will continue to do things like that myself.

10. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

For those still watching this thread, be aware that it is also MORE than just obtaining the correct wire and turning the ends clockwise. Common sense regarding air-conditioning plenums, water and gas piping, and the possibility of nails or screws holding art to drywall should always be considered. There is a book by the National Fire Prevention Association called the National Electrical Code, which is published for 2021. An experienced Journeyman electrician with the appropriate insurance ( bond ) should be consulted or employed.