Setting up transceiver w/ panadapter

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KW4TJ, Jan 28, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KW4TJ

KW4TJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I am setting up a panadapter to use my transceiver with an external sdr and seperate antenna. I am obtaining an MFJ 1708SDR for this purpose. My transceiver is an ICOM IC746. The MFJ device has a input labelled PTT which grounds the sdr receiver on transmit. My question is what output on the rear panel of the 746 connects to the PTT connector on the MFJ 1708SDR? Thanks in advance.

Dave kw4tj

2. K2CMH

K2CMH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I would normally be the output used to key an amplifier. I believe on the Icoms, it is the Send jack.

3. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The Send port is used to key up an amplifier just like the PTT port on my Flex, so that sounds correct to me.

Not sure of the response time of your grounding, so you may look at setting the transmit delay if that setting is offered on the IC-746. (I know my 7610 has it)

4. KW4TJ

KW4TJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks K1SZO. Now I can set it up. The 746 has choice for PTT to use a tuner or not but not to change response time. I tested the output - it has high resistance on receive and 0 resistance on transmit. Makes sense!