Setting up the ham radio shack

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KK6ZPD, Mar 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KK6ZPD

KK6ZPD Ham Member QRZ Page

what would be a good setup i have a icom 7300 for hf with av -680 antenna and a 80 meter ocf dipole.

l am looking for a 2 meter 44cm to go along with it. would like to have D star or c4fm but im not sure which to get i was think of a icom 5100a or 4100a with a j pole antenna

would love to get some input from you guys thanks
    tibor kk6zpd

2. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

i'd go with the 5100 and a better antenna

K3KIC likes this.
  3. W3ATV

W3ATV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The Yaesu FTM400XDR is a heck of a deal at 400 bucks. And yes- a better antenna.

KI2H likes this.
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

A simple ground plane (metal coat hangers soldered to an SO-239!) will out-perform the J-Pole most every time. Easy and cheap to make.

Link: http://www.hamuniverse.com/2metergp.html

Dave
    W7UUU

KI5WW likes this.
  5. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

For under $100 a Comet GP-3 is a great dual band vertical, I have on here sitting silently in Memphis because no one seems to care about being OTA and using repeaters. In Oregon I had a GP-9 mounted at 15' and it was pretty amazing what I could do with 25 watts fm, the PDX area was far more active on repeaters and simplex.

6. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It looks like you're set for HF - might want to add a manual antenna tuner at some point, but that's down the road.

Picking one of the digital modes is much like picking a car manufacturer. Since DMR HTs are very cheap, I think I'd get one and get your feet wet that way.

I own the FTm400XDR, and I'm not that impressed. However, that's because both of the Wires-X repeaters in our area went 'poof', so I have no way to use Wires-X and I'll be darned if I want to spent money to buy a gateway from Yaesu, though it may come down to that. While I could, Wires-X was pretty cool, however. You connect to the repeater and download a list of active reflectors you can go to. Great design!

Right now, I find as much activity on Dstar as on DMR.
    I guess I'd try to find local hams who have tried both. The PAPA system has DMR and publishes codeplugs for SoCal.

7. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

J-poles are not all that great in terms of performance. They are just an End Fed antenna with all the associated common mode feed line current / affecting their performance problems that particular design entails.

The only real benefit for most people is J-poles are easy to construct and install. Kind of like how ordering fast food is convenient and easy to do for many people, but more effort is required to turn on the stove and cook dinner.

Don't take shortcuts just because something is easier to do. Use a better performing antenna design.

WD0BCT likes this.
  8. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a 4100 and it is a nice radio, though for home use you'll be using the software a lot. It has few buttons and therefore a complex menu system and it is often easier to change options via the software and flash download than by navigating the head unit.

Check out the Diamond X30 antenna.. it's cheap and does well on 2m and 70cm. I have an X30 and X50 at home and use an X50N for my D-Star repeater. All great antennas.

9. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Before you decide between D-Star and C4FM, or DMR, or Fusion, find out what is available in your area and how active that mode is.

KI2H and N5AL like this.
  10. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Unfortunately monitoring these modes requires a mode specific rig!

As an example one can easily find out the info on local VHF, UHF analog repeaters. Knowing what repeaters are there and knowing which are in frequent use are two different things.