ad: w5yi

Setting up in a park

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by K5MOW, Jul 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W7JZE

W7JZE QRZ Lifetime Member #84 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I went down to the town hall a couple of years back, spoke to Parks & Recreation and asked about setting up in one of the city parks.

Blank stares.

Showed them a copy of my license.

No clue what amateur radio or ham radio was.

I mentioned "Like CB".

Still scratched their heads. Maybe they were kidding me? This is a big agricultural area and I would have thought at least "CB" would have lit a brain cell or three with all of the farmers around. It did not. I guess they all use cell phones now from their tractors??

Anyway, my feeble attempt at asking for permission in advance was a Keystone Cops like adventure. "Nobody knew nuthin and they didn't want to know nuthin'".

I think the advice above sounds good about zero impact and leaving it better than you found it. I'd sure have a copy of my license on the operating table, a friendly smile, a good attitude and maybe some ARRL information.

Please let us know how it worked for you. I still haven't set up in town here.

2. KV4PW

KV4PW Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't attempt it here in Virginia at one of the national forests or the national parks. you need to obtain some kind of a permit in advance from the local U.S. Forest Service explaining your purpose. It never was a problem before but now they are saying it has something to do with DHS and Security issues as of July 1st, 2013. What a bunch of Hooey!!!!!!

3. BH3MDE

BH3MDE Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope can learn morn experience about this

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.