Setting up in a park

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by K5MOW, Jul 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K5MOW

K5MOW Ham Member QRZ Page

I was wandering if any one herd if there any restrictions on setting up a portable vertical antenna in a park in Texas. I am going to operate potable sitting on a picnic table.

Roger

2. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I would suggest checking with whomever owns / maintains the park, especially in TX!
    The TX bureaucrats / public servants, irregardless if it is public or private park, are very fond of "rules". Especially when it comes to installing antennas or running a generator.
    The “better ask for forgiveness before asking for permission “ definitely DOES NOT applies in TX.
    But if you want a company, I am willing to suffer TX sunshine or rain with you. HI HI HI
    No BBQ necessary .
    73 Vaclav

3. KI6J

KI6J Ham Member QRZ Page

You're gonna have a blast. Picnic table portable is my favorite configuration.

You are likely to be asked something like "what am I looking at here?". Having a pleasant, smoothly rehearsed answer, which does not contain too much information, can goo a long way towards not having your operation shut down. I have found the key words and phrases to use are "temporary", "doesn't leave any permanent changes", and "purely recreational activity". Sometimes I have to pull out "just like setting up a telescope".

An obvious show of courtesy to other park users is a necessity. Don't block walkways, desirable parking spaces, or crowded areas.

Don't get discouraged. I was once told to take down my antenna because I wasn't allowed to tie anything to a tree. This was about fifty yards from a guy sleeping in a hammock tied to two trees, and a hundred yards from a party with a piñata tied to a tree. Rules are sometimes made up on the spot.

I don't ask for permission anymore. Too discouraging...

Stu

4. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have setup several times in and around Grapevine, TX and Army Core property. I always check the entry placard for R & R if there is one and follow it to the letter. Always a zero impact, nothing left behind setup. Leaving area in better condition than when I arrived.

Last week the Colleyville PD showed a mild interest from about 100 yard while 4 of us were in <st1:p<st1:pMcPherson Park</st1 Anyway I/we work on the don't ask don't tell principle. Likely to catch flack from the purist. I don't see why ham radio would be more excluded than football, baseball, Frisbee or carbonizing protein.</st1

Generator might be an issue in some areas of high fire danger and it does not have an approved spark arrestor. Batteries are what we have been using. To reiterate, zero impact, nothing left behind and better than we found it. Parks are to be used and not abused.

Mike

5. AA9SD

AA9SD Ham Member QRZ Page

Timely thread for me Roger and very good tips Stu. I just ordered an antenna to use portable and hope to be taking my FT-817nd out next week. Now I need to decide between my laptop and tablet for PSK31 while portable but that's another story.

--Sherman

6. KF5NFR

KF5NFR Ham Member QRZ Page

There is Special Event the first week in April called Texas State Parks on the Air. This was their first year to hold the event. I may try to activate one of the State Parks next year.

7. K5MOW

K5MOW Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow this is so very cool. Well thanks so much for all
    the great info. If the parks here in Texas has a special event in parks then it would be hard
    to say no to antenas.

Roger

8. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd take a guess and say this is organized by hams, not the parks themselves. And while I would hope there would be some buyin by the leaders of the park system - I'd also be surprised if the local ranger has any idea.

In short, I wouldn't assume they know - I'd still be very careful in explaining.

9. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

I have operated "park bench portable" in several municipal and state parks in Virginia, no trouble at all, though I have gotten a few odd glances and some interesting questions: "You're really talking to somebody in Brazil?" (or Nevada or Ontario or Texas).

10. KE6KA

KE6KA Ham Member QRZ Page

I've operated from local parks here and haven't had a problem with anyone from the parks department. I did have a ranger at a state park come up to me and said someone complained, even though nobody else was around at the time. But most of my portable operations are done along a forest road in the mountains here. I might go all weekend without seeing anyone else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.