Setting up 2m repeater

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by K1BXR, Nov 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K1BXR

K1BXR Ham Member QRZ Page

What is the procedure to set up a closed two meter repeater?

If instructions are too lengthy...Can someone link/give a web address to answer this question.

Many thanks

Ed

2. N0IOP

N0IOP Ham Member QRZ Page

You may find the resources here to be of value:

http://www.repeater-builder.com/rbtip/index.html

Much depends on how ambitious your project is:
    1. Separate rx and tx antennas (easier) or a common antenna (harder)?
    2. Private site with no other transmitters (easier) or shared site with LMR, paging, broadcast, etc. (harder)?
    3. How much power (lower power=easier)?
    4. Using a packaged commercial repeater (easier) or building your own using a couple of mobile radios and a controller (harder)?
    5. Using coordinated frequencies assigned by your local coordinator (harder, paperwork, politics) or using a generic "test" frequency pair (easier), or just kinda ignoring the coordination process and hoping you don't interfere with anyone (easy at first, harder once there's a problem)

3. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What exactly do you mean by a "closed" repeater?

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I was a repeater owner for many years, coast to coast.

The only thing that makes one "private" is the need to use some special CTCSS tone nobody has, or perhaps a digital signal sequence that's not published, etc.

Perfectly legal, just restricts who can use the repeater.

Normally, it's just a "regular repeater" with special access requirements.

5. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

*First get a guaranteed site available to you with power and antenna mounting access.
    *Next, get with your state frequency coordinator and obtain a frequency to use.
    *NOW you have that, the easy part is learning to tune a duplexer. It took me over a year to learn the art of getting rid of Desense, tuning notch and pass/notch systems of duplexers.
    *A tracking generator makes it easy.
    Have Fun.

6. W6KCS

W6KCS Ham Member QRZ Page

"set up" is pretty general so I'll guess that you mean the process for getting a channel coordinated, and not the entire process of installing a repeater (for that, the link above is what you want.)
    A "closed" repeater just means the folks that run it prefer that only certain users use it. Usually it's a club or group of friends.
    Two-meter closed repeaters are frowned on in many areas since two-meter channel pairs are in high demand, and so is 450 in many areas.
    I would contact the repeater coordinating body for your area and try to get a 450 pair, or a 220 or 900 pair if 450 pairs aren't available.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019 at 3:32 AM
  7. KB7WG

KB7WG Ham Member QRZ Page

What do you mean by procedure? Acquiring site and site permits?

Or acquiring and assembling repeater system equipment?

Which aspect.......or the whole shebang.

I would look up and ask a local 2 meter repeater owner.

I put up a lot of commercial repeaters in the 70s. The only person I had to satisfy was the regional FCC engineer.

I'm sure that has changed.

8. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Step 1: look up telephone number of the closest 2-way radio shop

Step 2: call said shop, and give the salesman your credit card numbers.

They will handle the details.

Rege

9. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

Seeing as how most areas have numerous 2 meter repeaters no one uses, why would you want to make another one o_O

KA0HCP likes this.
  10. KC8QVO

KC8QVO Ham Member QRZ Page

Ed - cutting through any sarcasm that may be in other replies - your question is way to vague to get any meaningful replies. Can you be more specific with what you are trying to accomplish? Some questions that may help prompt a more well formulated explanation/goal/specific questions are:

- Is this going to be a fixed repeater or portable?
    - Is this going to be for temporary/intermittent use or constant use?
    - Do you have any equipment to use now (like a surplus Micor cabinet or a couple of commercial VHF radios)?
    - Is this going to be analog or digital?
    + If digital - what protocol?
    + If digital - single site/stand alone or networked?
    + If analog - single site TX/RX? Single TX/satellite RX? Or multi-site TX/RX?

As others have asked - what is your definition of "closed"?