ad: Amateur-1

SETTING MFJ STRAIGHT!!!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by NN6EE, Jul 4, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

People with no education want $30+ a hour to put a nut on a bolt.

All that they know is lefty loosey, righty tighty. Learned that from stealing wheels.

:rolleyes::oops:o_O

K1OIK likes this.
  2. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

You may want to research the actual unemployment/poverty rates of Starkville Ms and (say) New York City.

Old stereotypes die hard it seems

3. K3KIC

K3KIC Ham Member QRZ Page

My comment was more general. Not about the south. Not specific to Starkville which I know very little about. It's about depressed areas in general.
    I just know that I have been involved in many factories around the world and there is no reason a factory in the south can't be set up to run well. It's almost always the management that determines how well it runs and the quality of the final product. I think a number of auto manufacturers have demonstrated. And then there is Tesla located in the midst of high tech land and they have quality issues and production problems by the bushel.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    N2EY likes this.
  4. N2SUB

N2SUB Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, no. I'm in the IT field. Only 3 of us moved to the South, and we built the Charlotte office from the ground up. I hired and trained skilled laborers, who brought the same level of commitment and dedication as their "Yankee" counterparts. From 3 to almost 100 employees in about 3 years. That company was eventually bought by IBM (might of heard of them) for a tidy sum; IBM thinks Southern workers are a good investment.

My next employer, BMW, moved me to Greenville. The Germans appear to rely on Southern labor as well. And the local economy boomed as well, because the building of the BMW assembly plant was continent on 80% of the suppliers be local (within 50 miles). So not only are southern workers assembling BMWs in SC, the parts they are assembling are coming from small local companies run by Southern workers, driven to a JIT assembly line by Southern truck drivers, (JIT = Just In Time...if the truck is not at the dock, the assembly line stops), and inventory is monitored and restocked by a bunch of unreliable southerners and reordered to keep the line moving. I moved on to Fluor, where my team was supplying troops with food and supplies, and arranging logistics for the troops in Iraq and Afghanistan. The Army travels on it's stomach....but the FOBs (Forward Operating Base) don't do anything without personnel and supplies. Somehow, the unreliable, cheap labor kept the military moving....I guess the government thought we were reliable enough.

Then their's Michelin, Lockheed-Martin, and Blue Croos/Blue Shield to name a few, who took the chance on the unreliable, cheap workforce, and are thriving. So basically, you're welcome. The next time you drive a BMW, buy a set of Michelin tires, collect healthcare benefits, or help support the troops, thank an unreliable southern worker.

As a transplant, I can't believe I'm going to say this, but if you don't like it here in the South, go back to where you came from. I don't know what world you live in, but it certainly isn't realistic. You know what they say, you are the company you keep. ;)

WD4IGX and KP4SX like this.
  5. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

*Never said I didn't like the south.
    *Never said that all southern workers are unreliable.
    *Never said that businesses can't be profitable or successful here.
    Just said that finding reliable workers is difficult, in many areas the pool is used up.
    * Lets also not forget what company the OP was discussing and where it's located.
    It isn't SC nor is it enjoying all the resurgence SC is enjoying.
    Reading is fundamental. I didn't make the original comment to bash the southern states or ethos. But being offended and overreacting is a popular activity no matter where on lives. There's a lot of landmass between SC and Texas, it isn't all cotton candy and merry-go-rounds.

W4NNF likes this.
  6. N2SUB

N2SUB Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, I'm not offended. I've considered the source. The fact that you believe that stating as fact (not as your opinion) that it's hard to find reliable workers in much of the south wouldn't be considered an insult demonstrates your narrow mindedness. There are a few frequencies on 80 meters where you would fit right in.

[​IMG]

7. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for your input and correction.
    Now go help settle that flag disagreement.

8. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

You mean 75 meters.....

I think there's a bigger issue: Over-generalization.

What is "the south", or "the north", anyway? Which states are included, which aren't? Each has big cities, small cities, towns, rural areas. Each has places that are growing and prospering, and other places that are full of decay, poverty and unemployment. Each has great universities....and some people with profound ignorance and hostility towards education. Each has people who have lived there for generations and people who are new transplants from other areas. Each has rich and poor, educated and ignorant, liberals, conservatives and moderates, old and young, etc.

Yet I see all sorts of generalizations, as if they're just one big homogeneous mass. As if the New Yorkers in the South Bronx are no different from people in rural Maine. As if the worst parts of the New Orleans metropolitan area are the same as the best parts of the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area. (Anybody ever hear of Huntsville, Alabama?)

Why?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    WD4IGX and N2SR like this.
  9. W0VRA

W0VRA Ham Member QRZ Page

You people are funny. Or y'all are funny.

W4IOA and WZ7U like this.
  10. K3KIC

K3KIC Ham Member QRZ Page

For years I had been going on business trips to various Canadian cities. But never to Montreal or Quebec. My general view of the French Canadians had been somewhat negative.
    A few years ago my brother suggested our families take a two week camping vacation to Quebec. I wasn't thrilled but the rest of the family ruled and off we went.
    Stayed just outside Quebec City. One of the best vacations I ever had. And met some of the best people I ever met on a trip. Went to a big festival in the city and our family's Weimeraraner was a big hit.
    Returning home I realized that my expectations had been shaped by negative stereotypes planted on my trips to other parts of Canada. Had a great time and learned a life lesson.
    Since then I've been to Quebec on business and the people were still great. (And the food.)

WC5P and N2EY like this.