SETI- can amateurs hear sentient signals from outside our solar system?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KA0USE, Jan 9, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

back in 19-ought-77, ohio state university got a signal from, apparently, sagitarius. the signal caused a wow! moment and henceforth is called ' the wow!' signal.
    wikipedia says 2 frequencies. i believe a decimal misplacement; either 14.2036 mhz or 142036 mhz (they show 1 of each in 2 places. 142036 mhz would be a brazillahertz).

i have no idea how seti works, but i did see some sort of 'documentary' years ago that showed guys who have their own setups. the camera didn't dwell on the radios, but i'm thinking a scanner locked on a particular freq, or an swl receiver or transceiver. the program said there are listeners allll over the planet with radios (and i guess tape recorders) going 24/7.

does this have any application to amateur radio? i don't have a 'big ear' antenna, or the $5000 the show says i can spend to put together a listening post. if this is in the 20m band, could i just point a beam antenna straight up?!_signal
  2. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

They're congrigated around 7200 kHZ. Mostly guys who dropped in from Uranius.
    KD8DEY, NX6ED, K4PIH and 9 others like this.
  3. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

1420.36 Mhz or 1420.46 Mhz. Specifically, both close to the 1420.41 MHz frequency of the hydrogen emission line that has long been speculated as a likely "calling frequency" for initiating contact. Definitely UHF but not insane by any means.!_signal#Frequency
    W7JZE likes this.
  4. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sure...tune across 75 on a Saturday night and you will find plenty. ;)
  5. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Seriously? Well, since nothing's been heard using giant radio telescopes and radio telescope arrays, I'd say "probably not."

The interesting question is "why?" It's seems self-evident that in a galaxy of billions of stars and billions of planets, there MUST be somebody out there. However, as Enrico Fermi asked, "OK, then where the hell are they?"
  6. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

Ever hear of the "Drake equation"?

Sure, there are an enormous number of stars out there. Over 100 billion in our galaxy alone. And most of them probably have planets. Say, 10 planets per star - that's 1 trillion planets!

Most of the planets will be too hot or too cold, too big or too small, etc., to support life. Say 1 in 10 planets can support we're back to 100 billion planets.

Of those 100 billion planets, maybe 1 in 100 has intelligent life. That's 1 billion planets.

Of those 1 billion planets with intelligent life, maybe 1 in 1000 has developed to the point that they have long-range radio. That's 1 million planets.

Of those 1 million planets with intelligent life and long range radio........they have 100 billion other star systems to consider. Why should they pick us?

Plus - we have to be listening at the right time, on the right frequency, and pointing our antennas in the right direction.

(Look up what it would take to communicate by radio at around 1420 MHz over a distance of 10 light years. Then consider how few stars there are within 100 light years of us....)
    K8PG and KE5OFJ like this.
  7. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

N2EY , which model Drake was that ;)
    N2SUB likes this.
  8. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

The Frsnk Drake
  9. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

th.jpeg Ham alien

Take me to your food!
  10. W8MLS

W8MLS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was researching to find exactly which antenna is the Big Ear. According to Wiki it is in the Perkins Observatory in Delaware. I can't find any real pictures of the telescope except for a few that show a building with a dome. To me that looks like an optical telescope not a radio telescope. There was a documentary on TV where they interviewed the astronomer and 'implied' the telescope was at Green Bank WV. I can't verify that however Green Bank is home to the worlds largest fully steerable radio telescope (100 meters). I toured the facility and found out that the each plate that makes the dish can be tuned to the desired frequency . For me my dream job would be to work in the radio shop there when I retire.