Server PSU mods ?

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by M6NZC, May 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. M6NZC

M6NZC Ham Member QRZ Page

Is there any info available on how to modify a server PSU of 12v, up to the 13.8v required.
    The price of a Dell Poweredge 2900 930W psu is cheap at around £17 (used) but there is not much information available on how to up the voltage.
    I dont think that there is any kind of trim pot within this model, & the modification has to be done to the +12V Sense and +12V Return Sense pins.
    Any help is appreciated.

2. K8AI

K8AI Ham Member QRZ Page

3. K8AI

K8AI Ham Member QRZ Page

It may not be too difficult, especially if you can identify which line goes to the controller for voltage feedback on the main +12V line. I've found it's easier to identify if there's a daughter board containing the PWM controller.

I'm working on a Dell Poweredge 550W supply right now. I put a couple diodes in series on that line and it's giving me +13.6V out.

M6NZC likes this.
  4. M6NZC

M6NZC Ham Member QRZ Page

Kurt,
    Getting the PSU to do all the work is a genius idea, especially as the Dell PowerEdge 1850 can be picked up cheaply. If u decide to put up a little tutorial, im sure it will help a lot of members.
    I have held back purchasing a PSU currently as i wasnt sure if it was possible. I will research the Poweredge 2900 930W & see if this one is also capable of the 13.6v mod.
    Thanks Chris

5. VK2HHS

VK2HHS Ham Member QRZ Page

You might consider the HP DPS 600PB. It's a 12 V 47A supply which is easy to modify and bring up the voltage.

The R/C hobbyists have discovered this PS for their battery charging requirements, so there is plenty of documentation.

My own modification is set at 13.6V which drops to 13.3V under a continuous 23A load.

Very useful and cheap mod.

M6NZC likes this.
  6. IZ1FKS

IZ1FKS Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a DPS-600pb with the OVP mod for 13.8V output. The problem is the output noise (sawthoot waveform at 100kHz), anyone have installed a filter? I have tried an icom emi filter and it works but output noise is still 85 mV measured with analog oscilloscope...

Really powering my ic-756proII no noise on ham band is detected, probably because the radio internal filter on input DC is doing its job. Anyway conducted emission is present on the dc cord output from power supply