Seriously...Just why on earth on you into CW?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by N7BKV, Mar 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. N7BKV

N7BKV Ham Member QRZ Page

You know, this makes you one of the oddest people in the world.

So why?

(Me? Every thing else is nothing special to me. And other weird reasons, like postponing the medical brain condition known as O.L.D.)

2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I do CW because I enjoy it. I do not consider it "odd" (or myself odd) at all.

Best mode available in amateur radio, and those who don't use CW/Morse just don't know what they are missing.

How about that? :)

Dave
    W7UUU

KD8WU, KB7GL, N0NC and 7 others like this.
  3. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh, no no no no no. Brother, we need to talk. I love CW, but it is most certainly NOT what makes me one of the oddest people in the world. Or the galaxy. Or the universe. When you're in my neck of the woods, PM me and we'll have a beer and talk about what's REALLY odd in this world. Hint....it's not CW. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

W7UUU, KI5WW and N7BKV like this.
  4. M6GYU

M6GYU Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not quite sure where you get the idea that folk who use morse are odd. That comment says far more about you than me! Perhaps thats what you think about your own obsession(?) with morse.

Like some others I used morse in my job as a radio operator. Now its a hobby. I don't do microphones.

WB5YUZ, K5VZD, W5BIB and 1 other person like this.
  5. N4NYK

N4NYK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Knowing CW is a great and useful skill in the realm of amateur radio. It opens up a lot of operating possibilities. Plus, it's fun.
    I guess it's great to be "odd".

N7KO, K9KXW and N7BKV like this.
  6. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

Neither do I.

Morse is an useful skill and also defines amateur radio.
    To be a "real amateur" it takes usable Morse sending and receiving proficiency (hint: counting "dots" and "dashes" such as in a 5 WPM test, does not qualify), as well as be able to build and troubleshoot your equipment.

Also, Morse is "character building" and creates better amateurs.
    Some recent analysis of the Swedish licence statistics from the 70s/80s up to recent times points in the direction that that "rate of attrition" is about an order of magnitude higher for "no-coders" than for "coders".

When you have to actually put in effort for your licence, it becomes much more valuable.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

N7KO, G0GSR, K9KXW and 2 others like this.
  7. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Not odd.

Unique.

8. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great to be odd, but not easy being green....

N4NYK, N7BKV and NE1U like this.
  9. NE1U

NE1U Ham Member QRZ Page

I like CW because it is not something that you can just throw money at and Boom! Done! It actually takes time and focus. Oh my. And to think that millenials are accused of needing instant gratification.

Seriously, I am an electrical engineer and got started in my career because of ham radio as a kid decades ago. I can afford all the goodies ... towers, beams, amps, yadda yadda yadda. More gadgets to use as an appliance do not float my boat. I do have one HF radio; a SDR wifi-ed to a computer. My shack is where my notebook and I are ... very clean and uncluttered. No "On the air" sign above a closed door and I do remember those days.

VE7PJR and N7BKV like this.
  10. W1TRY

W1TRY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

N0NC, AC8UN, M6GYU and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.