ad: HamHats-1

SERA Wants All Repeaters Toned!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N4FV, Aug 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KE4PJW

KE4PJW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Interesting, I would think the channel utilization would be much higher in a shared public safety environment as opposed to a couple of round tables. I guess we will have to implement it to find out [​IMG]

2. K4JF

K4JF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The TS-790A tone board is OPTIONAL, part number TSU-5. The button is there for when you have the board installed. (Check the manual - if you do not have the tone installed the tone button will not operate. Shouldn't that be obvious???) I did not order it, because all the repeaters around here are OPEN. (At least most...)

And for the comment from 6-land, repeaters around here in northern South Carolina are very active - because they do not have tones blocking people out. They are very friendly.

Being retired, I travel a lot. I would like to QSO with local hams when I visit a new area, but it's not even worth taking my TH-22 along anymore.

3. AB8RU

AB8RU Ham Member QRZ Page

SERA should not have to go to that drastic measures, I believe that the club or private group should decide weather they want to spend the money or not unless SERA is giving free money away to pay the costs of purchasing a CTCSS card or tone panel for every repeater in the country.

I will have to Stongly Oppose Such a decision.

4. N4FV

N4FV Ham Member QRZ Page

I have recieved a private message from a SERA official this evening and have declined to respond to it except here in a public forum if it is posted.  

SERA has been a model for other coordinating bodies and you can be sure this controversy is being watched closely.  

Bob N4FV

5. AB8RU

AB8RU Ham Member QRZ Page

N4FV, FYI, I just sent an email to SERA so I added my comments to their email box, I hope this will help everyone out, may be a loaded HOT Issue but I wish everyone good luck on this one.

Mark AB8RU

6. WA4III

WA4III Ham Member QRZ Page

As a repeater owner, I can understand both sides of the arguement. My repeater is in the range of a powerful repeater, but the miles requirement is met, I am getting signals from the repeater that cover up my repeater 25 miles away. I have a 100hz tone access on my repeater, but that don't stop the strong signal from the other one. It would, however, stop the people trying to get into my repeater from keying the other one. They say they will not tone the repeater because some people may not be able to get into their machine. I think the problem is not with tones, but the greedy people sitting on the "paper" repeaters which are not on the air and refuse to give up the frequency. The coordinators should do a better job and limit the number of repeaters to a person or group and if a repeater in not on the air, and the frequency is needed, remove the coordination and re issue it to a person who will use it. I can name you a few such repeaters.

The thing I am against is "closed, or private" repeaters. If a person wants a personal repeater, let him get a license for such a radio system. If only the on-the-air repeaters were coordinated, we would have plenty of frequency pairs.

Also, all States should go to the same channel spacing. This difference causes a big problem between Alabama and Tennessee.

Thanks for listening

Greg WA4III gdwalker@juno.com 256 247 3448

7. KE4PJW

KE4PJW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The TSU-5 is a decoder board. You can still encode CTCSS and access toned repeaters without it.
    A repeater having CTCSS has nothing to do with the repeater being "open" or "closed".

SERA has required CTCSS or DCS for coordination of UHF repeaters for years.

SERA only coordinates open repeaters.

8. NC4TN

NC4TN Ham Member QRZ Page

Frankly, REQUIRING tone is just another hidden, albeit blatant, attempt to create more revenue for the manufacturers; more repeaters....more handie-talkies sold.  If this were a fair world, Ickum, Yazoo, and Kwoodie would be required to pay a subsidization fee to all the repeater owners to help them maintain their "machines".  After all, the big companies are the ones who reap the financial rewards on the backs of the repeater owners, who by law, can't profit financially from their public service endeavors.  It's only the goodwill of the repeater owners and the clubs who maintain repeaters that make VHF/UHF FM what it is today, not the corporations.  

For all you repeater users who think CTCSS/DCS is not a big deal: if you had any idea at all of the financial outlay it takes to operate a repeater, you would be thanking the repeater owner/clubs every day for their generousity. A tone board is not all that expensive you say?......Did you figure the repeater owner's time and expense just to go to the site, not to mention the cost of buying the associated components, etc?  Did you know that the US Forest Service charges an exhorborant user fee for the "privilege" of locating an amateur repeater on their mountaintop?  (yet they have the nerve to ask us hams to help out with communications when they are fighting forest fires)  How many of you would take a whole day off from work (if you are allowed to) just to install a tone board and support electronics for your home equipment?  Be happy with what you got; feel lucky that you can "hit" that repeater with your HT, WITHOUT the use of tone.  

I make no apologies for the emotional soapbox; SERA stepped way out of bounds on this one.......and I'm hollerin' "foul"!  CTCSS/DCS is now, and should always be, an OPTIONAL tool for the repeater owner.  

As a SERA member/repeater owner, I will vote against every SERA officer who chose/chooses to support this farce.

9. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Since repeater coordinators started establishing co-channel repeaters only 75 miles apart some time ago, the handwriting has been on the wall - CTCSS access would be ordained at some point. And, as could be predicted, it has been ordained not in a way that would help the users but in a way that would keep the repeaters quiet.

I do believe that the rise of tone access has been a serious wet blanket for 2 meter activity in the last couple decades. It has made 2 meter use when travelling more difficult.

I won't condemn SERA's actions here, but I don't think it has gone far enough. We need some more here - we need better ways for travellers to deal with tones. Voice announcements of tones help, but I can't set the tones on any of my rigs unless I pull over and find the manual - most of them involve holding down three buttons and spinning a knob while flapping my arms, or some such procedure - impossible to do on the fly. I can PC-program all my rigs, and that is tedious too, since even with the best software, I never really know which repeaters I'll be able to use until I get to an area. I spent hours programming repeaters for my trip to England, and I've found two that work so far.

I think we need a universal edict that toned repeaters must retransmit the tone they use on the input. And we must twist our radio manufacturer's arms to include a new feature that will set the transmit tone automatically to the tone it is receiving. That would provide the potential to eventually resolve all of these issues, not to mention make lots of money for the rig makers! That ought to make them pleased. Repeaters would just need to announce their presence on occasion, and travellers would be able to detect and use them.

10. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

What is SERA??

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

11. KR4BD

KR4BD Ham Member QRZ Page

SERA is the SouthEastern Repeater Association. They are the repeater co-ordinators for much of the Southeastern States.

Tom, KR4BD

12. K4UUG

K4UUG Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

The SERA was founded in 1971 as the North Carolina FM Repeater Association Inc., when a group of state repeater owners got together to form an organization designed to assist in coordinating, providing communication & technical information, and bringing together all amateur repeater owners into one united body.

In 1973, Virginia and South Carolina joined the group. The organization's name was changed to Carolinas-Virginia Repeater Association, Inc. (CVRA).

In late summer of 1979, amateurs in the state of Tennessee voted to join the association and in 1980, the state of West Virginia followed, making CVRA a 5-state organization. In 1980, the Board of Directors changed the name of the organization to CVRA-SouthEastern Repeater Association, Inc., thus CVRA-SERA.

In the spring of 1985, 20 counties in eastern Kentucky formed the Eastern Kentucky district of the association, and in July, by unanimous vote of the Georgia repeater owners, chose to join. The board subsequently accepted Georgia as the seventh district of CVRA-SERA.

In the early part of 1987, the CVRA-SERA board wrote and approved one of the most complete, far reaching Coordination Policies in the nation. This new document provided a guide for coordinators and repeater owners.

In 1988, the board voted to drop the letters "CVRA'' from the corporate name, thus SERA was the new identity for the SouthEastern Repeater Association. The organization also decided to copyright its repeater index.

In 1989, the board again moved forward with the times. The SERA By-Laws were totally updated to reflect current trends. The coordination policy was updated and paragraphs titled to assist in finding portions of the document with ease and speed.

In late 1989, SERA signed a paper of "Mutual Cooperation and Recognition'' with MACC (Mid-America Coordination Council), as it had previously with the Florida Repeater Council, Alabama Repeater Council, and T-MARC (other repeater coordinating councils adjoining SERA border states). These agreements basically state that SERA recognizes these organizations as the official coordinators in their area, and that SERA pledges to cooperate with them in coordination and information.

Mississippi became the 8th SERA state and western Kentucky joined eastern Kentucky to form a new Kentucky District encompassing the entire state in mid 1989.

In 1996 the SERA Board voted to provide its own electronic "remailer" through the internet. Today all board members are on the internet, with almost immediate access for communications. Frequency Coordinators now receive computerized digital data updates of repeaters for their home computers from the master computer database.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other Information

At the end of 1985, the association represented over 900 repeaters in seven states on all VHF/UHF bands. By 1989, repeaters in the eight districts had grown to over 1,200. With a new computerized database in place, the organization initiated the policy of annually mailing data sheets to every known repeater in the eight states in an attempt to keep the database as complete and up-to-date as possible.

In 1992, SERA board members were tied to the ARRL National Data Base via computer.

By the spring of 1996, the SERA board of directors approved additional software to assist directors in coordination. The SERA repeater database now contains over 2,100 repeaters in the SERA area.

The SERA director, who is elected from within his own district by his fellow repeater owners, is the leader within the district, guiding SERA efforts, answering only to the full board of directors in session and voting, and of which he is an equal member. His judgment is totally free in coordination in his area, guided by the board-approved frequency utilization plans and coordination policies and guidelines. This eliminates any possibility of politics from outside sources.

The director is assisted by a locally elected vice-director in both coordination and contact with repeater owners. Assistant directors are named by the director and approved by the full board. All within the district are subordinate to the director, who is responsible for compliance with the by-laws and policies of the organization.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Repeater Journal History

Volume 1, Number 1, of the Repeater Journal was published in 1971 with 12 pages of typewritten stapled sheets. By 1973, the publication was printed by a commercial printer, with a 7 x 8-1/2 inch format. The February, 1983, Journal had a new size and format. The new 8-1/2 x 11 magazine type layout set the Journal into a more professional look. In November of 1986, the Repeater Journal began printing full color covers.

In 1991, the Repeater Journal staff had in place computers, desk-top publishing programs, and tools required to take over the task of publishing the Journal by computer. In 1994, the SERA Board authorized purchase of a new state-of-the-art computer system and software for the Journal volunteers.

Other notes:

The SERA is incorporated as a "Not for Profit Corporation" pursuant to Chapter 55A of the General Statutes of the State of North Carolina and is exempt from Federal Income Tax under Section 501©(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 as amended.

The success of SERA over the past 25 years can be attributed to its people, people who chose to volunteer their time and work countless hours for the organization with no pay for their services, and the repeater owners and users, who faithfully support the organization financially through voluntary membership are the heart and soul of the organization.

The goal for the future is to continue to provide the best communications, cooperation, coordination, and education possible to the Amateur repeater owners and users in the Southeast.

The SERA is unlike any other coordination organization in the nation. The amateurs in the southeast have something they can be proud of. They helped build it and they support it. The relatively trouble free repeater operation in the area shows their work has not been in vain.

The officers who have served with SERA from 1971 to the present:

OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT
    (Elected Terms of office begin in even years)

1972-1973 (NCFMRA) Bill Sims, K4RUQ, (Durham, NC)
    1974-1978 (CVRA) Ed Alderman, WA4PEN, (Raleigh, NC)
    1979-1980 (CVRA) Charles Durst, WA4WTX, (Durham, NC)
    1980-1982 (CVRA) Lane Tarleton, KC4CD, (Rock Hill, SC)
    1983-1984 (CVRA) Don Morris, AB4J, (Charlotte, NC)
    1984-1991 (CVRA) Carter Cogle, K4ARO, (Petersburg, VA)
    1992-1997 (SERA) Dave Shiplett, AC4MU, (Perry, GA)
    1998-2003 (SERA) Don Williams, W4VT, (Bluefield, VA)
    2004- (SERA) Roger Gregroy, W4RWG, (Union, SC)

OFFICE OF VICE PRESIDENT
    (Elected terms office begin in even years)

1972-1973 [​IMG]
    1974-1975 Charles Durst, WA4WTX, (Durham, NC)
    1976-1977 Calvin Dempsey, WA4UQC, (Tarboro, NC)
    1978-1979 John Fried, W4WWD, (Farmville, VA)
    1980-1981 Ted Goldthorpe, WA4VCC, (Fort Mill, SC)
    1981-1982 Carter Cogle, K4ARO, (Petersburg, VA)
    1983-1986 Jim Fitzgerald, K4OJE, (Richmond, VA)
    1987-1994 Nita Wofford, N4DON, (Memphis, TN)
    1995-1996 Don Williams, W4VT, (Bluefield, VA)
    1997-1998 Dick Fowler, N8FMD, (Clarksburg, WV)
    1999-2001 Pete Seabolt, N4KHQ, (Dahlonega, GA)
    2002- Richard Wright, W4LOC, (Chickamauga, GA)

OFFICE OF THE SECRETARY
    (Elected terms of office begin in even years)

1972-1973 Bill Parris, K4GHR, (Charlotte, NC)
    1974-1975 Dave Rawley, W4WDI, (High Point, NC)
    1976-1977 Carter Cogle, K4ARO, (Petersburg, VA)
    1978-1979 Paul Marsha, K4AVU, (Columbia, SC)
    1980-1982 Mike Williams, KC4AO, (Danville, VA)
    1983-1984 Maxine Bennett, N4CEA, (Lookout Mountain, TN)
    1984-1987 Nita Morgan (Wofford), N4DON, (Lookout Mountain, TN)
    1988-1993 Barbara Gregory, WA4RMC, (Chattanooga, TN)
    1994- Alex Hedrick, N8FWL, (Beckley, WV)

OFFICE OF THE TREASURER
    (Elected terms of office begin in even years)

1972-1973 Bill Parris, K4GHR, (Charlotte, NC)
    1974-1977 Al Ross, K4CAW, (Greensboro, NC)
    1978-1982 Carl Smith, N4AA, (Asheville, NC)
    1983-1997 Ray Adams, N4BHQ, (Knoxville, TN)
    1998- Johnny Wofford, WA4ETE, (Memphis, TN)

DIRECTORS, VICE DIRECTORS AND ASSISTANTS
    (Elected terms of office begin in odd years, with Assistant Directors being appointments by directors with no voting privileges.)

THE CVRA NINE-DISTRICT SETUP
    From 1971 to 1975 the organization had a Coordination Chairman who did all frequency coordinations for the three CVRA states. In 1975 thru July 1976, the CVRA split into 9 districts across the three states. Each district had an elected Director and Vice-Director. The Frequency Coordination Chairman still held final authority on frequency coordination with the assistance of the various Directors and Vice-Directors.

The Nine Districts 1975-1976

MOUNTAIN DISTRICT

Director - Hank Holcomb, WB4MOV, (Lynchburg, VA)
    Vice-Director - Al Dyson, W4PDL, (Salem, VA)

CENTRAL DISTRICT

Director - Bill Bridges, K4WHQ, (Shelby, NC)
    Vice-Director - Ken Dresser, WB4NDB, (Charlotte, NC)

EASTERN DISTRICT

Director - Charles Durst, WA4WTX, (Durham, NC)
    Vice-Director - Danny Hampton, K4ITL, (Raleigh, NC)

COASTAL DISTRICT

Director - Calvin Dempsey, WA4UQC, (Tarboro, NC)
    Vice-Director - Eddie Sellers, W4NTQ, (Whiteville, NC)

PIEDMONT DISTRICT

Director - Don Haris, W4BUZ, (Greensboro, NC) (1975)
    Director - Wayne Williams, K4MOB, (Colfax, NC) (1976)
    Vice-Director - John Huffman, W4IRE, (Winston-Salem, NC)

NORTHERN DISTRICT

Director - Carter Cogle, K4ARO, (Petersburg, VA)
    Vice-Director - Tom Gimbert, K4PQD, (Rixeyville, VA)

SOUTHERN DISTRICT

Director - Hugh Minton, K4FR, (Aiken, SC)
    Vice-Director - Cliff Semken, K4OKD, (Charleston, SC)

WESTERN DISTRICT

Director - Ron Alberton, WA4MWC, (Greer, SC) (1975)
    Director - Henry Roberts, WB4ROI, (Greenville, SC) (1/2 - 1976)
    Director - Wade Holland, W4AZT, (Greenville, SC) (1/2 - 1976)
    Vice-Director - Ralph Roberts, WA4NUO, (Asheville, NC)

BAY DISTRICT

Director - Bill Shaw, WA4MMP, (Chesapeake, VA)
    Vice-Director - Joe Stevens, WA4JZX, (Elizabeth City, NC)

CVRA THREE-DISTRICT SETUP

In 1977, the Board of Directors reduced the number of CVRA Districts from nine to three. They were the states of Virginia, North Carolina, and South Carolina. Each district has an elected Director and a Vice-Director. The Directors could also appoint Assistant Directors who did not have voting privileges. The Frequency Coordination Chairman retained final authority on frequency coordination with assistance of the Directors and Vice Directors. This continued through 1979. In 1980 the elected state officials assumed frequency coordination duties, lending more “local” authority for each state.

NORTH CAROLINA DISTRICT
    NC was the 1st State within the organization in 1971.

NORTH CAROLINA DIRECTORS

1977-1978 Charles Durst, WA4WTX, (Durham)
    1978-1979 Eddie Sellars, W4NTQ, (Whiteville)
    1979-1983 Ken Woodard, WA4BVW, (Canton)
    1984-1985 Beachum Leonard, W4RXG, (Winston-Salem)
    1985-1986 Ken Woodard, WA4BVW, (Canton)
    1987-1988 F. L. Warford, K4AZA, (High Point)
    1989-1990 Ed Stevenson, AB4S, (Cary)
    1990- Danny Hampton, K4ITL, (Raleigh)

NORTH CAROLINA VICE-DIRECTORS

1977-1978 Eddie Sellars, W4NTQ, (Whiteville)
    1978-1979 Ken Woodard, WA4BVW, (Canton)
    1979-1980 Ed Buffington, W4VGZ, (Burlington)
    1980-1986 Calvin Dempsey, WA4UQC, (Tarboro)
    1987-1988 Orin Hardin, WA4TBR, (Greensboro)
    1989-1990 Danny Hampton, K4ITL, (Raleigh)
    1991-1992 Richard Woodberry, N4LMR, (Raleigh)
    1993-1994 Norman Harrill, N4NH, (Asheville)
    1994-1998 Lin Couch, K4OLC, (Hickory)
    1998- Frank Lynch, W4FAL, (Raleigh)

NORTH CAROLINA ASSISTANT DIRECTORS

1978-1980 Larry Schwarz, WA4RHY, (Fayetteville)
    1979-1980 Al Ross, K4CAW, (Greensboro)
    1983-1986 Danny Hampton, K4ITL, (Raleigh)
    1993-1996 Pamela Glaub, KC4SWM, (Raleigh)
    1997-1998 Frank Lynch, KE4ZEQ, (Raleigh)
    1997-2000 Todd Robinson, KE4JMH, (Waynesville)
    2001- Chuck Wright, K4NYS, (Raleigh)
    2001- Bob Lukaszewski, K4HA, (Raleigh)

SOUTH CAROLINA DISTRICT
    SC was the 2nd State within the organization in 1973.

SOUTH CAROLINA DIRECTORS

1977-1980 Wade Holland, W4AZT, (Greenville)
    1980-1981 Jack Watson, Jr. W4YPD, (Columbia)
    1981-1986 Al Harney, N4EOY, (Columbia)
    1987-1989 Lennart Bjerken, WB4USY, (Sumter)
    1990- vacant from January thru October 1990
    1991-2002 Bill Jones, N4NMH, (Charleston)
    2002- Roger Gregory, W4RWG, (Union)

SOUTH CAROLINA VICE-DIRECTORS

1977-1980 Hugh Minton, K4FR, (Aiken)
    1980-1982 Bob McCormick, K4FRX, (Columbia)
    1983-1984 Garry Barnette, WA4MDF, (Summerville)
    1985-1986 Hap Griffin, WA4UMU, (Sumter)
    1991-1996 Gary Foster, WD8OXE, (Inman)
    1997-1998 Vince Ott, Wd4NUN, (Goose Creek)
    1999-2001 Ed Frank, KC4ED, (Charleston)
    2001-2002 Roger Gregory, W4RWG, (Union)
    2002- Jim Cantrell, W4JC, (Union)

SOUTH CAROLINA ASSISTANT DIRECTORS

1977-1980 Lennart Bjerken, WB4USY, (Shaw AFB)
    1977-1980 Thomas Martin, WB4PVL, (Walterboro)
    1978-1978 Bruce Douberly, WB4JNE, (Walhalla)
    1980-1984 Jim Burns, WD4DOK, (Lancaster)
    1980-1984 Richard Nixon, WA4JYR, (North Myrtle Beach)
    1998-1999 Ed Frank, KE2D, (Charleston)
    2000-2001 Roger Gregory, W4RWG, (Union)

VIRGINIA DISTRICT
    VA was the 3rd State within the organization in 1973.

VIRGINIA DIRECTORS

1977-1980 Carter Cogle, K4ARO, (Petersburg)
    1980-1984 Mike Williams, KC4AO, (Danville)
    1985-1986 Lee McDaniel, WB4QOJ, (Roanoke)
    1987-1996 Wally Burkette, WA4KXV, (Virginia Beach)
    1997-2002 Don Williams, W4VT, (Bluefield)
    2002- Jim Campbell, K4YM, (Montross)

VIRGINIA VICE-DIRECTORS

1977-1980 Al Dyson, W4PDL, (Salem)
    1980-1982 Amos Rhames, K4WQS, (Danville)
    1983-1984 Lee McDaniel, WB4QOJ, (Roanoke)
    1985-1986 Wally Burkette, WA4KXV, (Virginia Beach)
    1987-1996 Don Williams, W4VT, (Bluefield)
    1997-1998 Doug Sharp, K2AD, (Lynchburg)
    1999-2000 Jim Green, W4ML, (Mechanicsville)
    2001-2002 Jim Campbell, K4YM, (Montross)
    2002- Jay Campbell, N4YMY, (Ashland)

VIRGINIA ASSISTANT DIRECTORS

1977-1984 Wally Burkette, WA4KXV, (Virginia Beach)
    1977-1979 Bob May, K4SE, (Jonesboro, TN)
    1980-1980 Thomas Gooding, K4LHB, (Sterling)
    1977-1988 Larry Lewis, WB4JBJ, (Forest)
    1998-1998 Randy McKenzie, KB4YFV, (Hillsville)
    1998- Charlie Stokes, WB4PVT, (Newport News)
    2001-2002 Jay Campbell, N4YMY, (Ashland)
    2002- Don Williams, W4VT, (Bluefield)

TENNESSEE DISTRICT
    Tennessee was the 4th State within the organization in 1981.

TENNESSEE DIRECTORS

1981-1985 Sam Kirby, WB4HAP, (Knoxville)
    1985-1988 Tom Park, WD4KWP, (Gallatin)
    1989-1990 Gene Giesler, W4TYU, (Knoxville)
    1991-2002 Johnny Wofford, WA4ETE, (Memphis)
    2002-2003 Tim Berry, WB4GBI, (Knoxville)
    2004- Andy Masters, NU5O, (Collierville)

TENNESSEE VICE-DIRECTORS

1981-1982 Cliff Hensley, WB4NKL, (Limestone)
    1983-1984 Tom Park, WD4KWP, (Gallatin)
    1985-1988 Gene Giesler, W4TYU, (Knoxville)
    1989-1990 James Larson, WB4KQQ, (Memphis)
    1991-2002 Tim Berry, WB4GBI, (Knoxville)
    2002-2003 Andy Masters, NU5O, (Collierville)
    2004- Jerome Buie, KB4POA, (Clarksville)

TENNESSEE ASSISTANT DIRECTORS

1981-1986 Billy Gilly, W4YXA, (McMinnville)
    1981-1981 Tom Smith, WA4ZOK, (Harrison)
    1981-1983 Tom Park, WD4KWP, (Gallatin)
    1981-1984 Dave Wolfe, WA4VVX, (Jackson)
    1983-1986 Barbara Gregory, WA4RMC, (Chattanooga)
    1987-1988 Neal Talley, WB4EAI, (Memphis)
    1989-1990 Lance Lewis, KI4OG, (Nashville)
    1991-1993 Roy Archibald, WX2B, (Memphis)
    1991-2002 Brad Adams, N4PYI, (Nashville)
    1994-1994 Dave Miers, N4MW, (Memphis)
    1995-2002 Andy Masters, NU5O, (Collierville)
    1999-1999 Richard Pryor, WD4BKY, (Gallatin)
    2001-2002 Mike Conway, KD4VVA, (Gallatin)
    2003-2004 Jerome Buie, KB4POA, (Clarksville)
    2004- Tim Berry, WB4GBI, (Knoxville)
    2004- Alan McClain, KA4BNI, (Dresden)
    2004- David Fridley, KG4FZR, (Athens)

WEST VIRGINIA DISTRICT
    WV was the 5th State within the organization in 1981.

WEST VIRGINIA DIRECTORS

1981-1986 Ted Wolfe, WD4KHL, (Cabin Creek)
    1987-1992 Karl Morris, WB8GDY, (St. Albans)
    1992- Dick Fowler, N8FMD, (Clarksburg)

WEST VIRGINIA VICE-DIRECTORS

1981-1986 Mike Palmer, K8LG, (Morgantown)
    1987-1988 Lyle Gaston, W8FG, (Pratt)
    1989-1991 Dick Fowler, N8FMD, (Clarksburg)
    1992- Alex Hedrick, N8FWL, (Beckley)

WEST VIRGINIA ASSISTANT DIRECTORS

1981-1986 Karl Morris, WB8GDY, (St. Albans)
    1986-1987 Gary Holt, N8BZS, (Odd)
    1987-1988 Dick Fowler, N8FMD, (Clarksburg)
    1987-1988 Mac McMillan, WD8OZT, (Charleston)
    1989-1991 Ralph Langley, KA8SVR, (Hurricane)
    1992-1998 Dave Ramezan, KA8ZXP, (Glenville)
    2002- Doug Cutlip, KC8AJH, (Phillippi)

KENTUCKY DISTRICT
    20 counties of eastern Kentucky & 6th State within the organization in 1985, and in November 1989, the remainder of state became part of the Kentucky District.

KENTUCKY DIRECTORS

1985-1988 Fred Jones, WA4SWF, (Louisa)
    1989-1993 Terry Estes, WB4ASZ, (Winchester)
    1994-1996 Jeffery Martin, N5KOL, (Henderson)
    1997-1998 Mark Smith, KM4IV, (Ivel)
    1998-1999 Jerry Shouse, N4EQT, (Lawrenceburg)
    1999-1999 Brennan Newsome, KJ4VF, (Harold)
    1999-2002 Jerry Shouse, N4EQT, (Lawrenceburg)
    2002- Mike McCown, K4ITF, (David)

KENTUCKY VICE-DIRECTORS

1985-1988 Terry Estes, WB4ASZ, (Winchester)
    1993-1993 Jeffery Martin, N5KOL, (Henderson)
    1994-1996 Mark Smith, KM4IV, (Ivel)
    1998-1998 William Call, KJ4W, (Murray)
    1999-1999 Jerry Shouse, N4EQT, (Lawrenceburg)
    2002- Tim Osborne, K4TDO, (Happy)

KENTUCKY ASSISTANT DIRECTORS

1989-1990 Larry Malone, KC4TX, (Hodgenville)
    1993-1993 Wayne Mullannix, N4YUU, (Lexington)
    2001-2002 Mike McCown, K4ITF, (David)
    2003- David Forbis, KD4DVI, (Calvert City)

GEORGIA DISTRICT
    Georgia officially became the 7th CVRA-SERA District in late 1985. The following were the first named CVRA-SERA Officials of that state.

INTERIM DIRECTOR - Newell Anderson, W4AQE, (College Park)
    INTERIM VICE-DIRECTOR - John Robertson, N4BGL, (Lawrenceville)
    INTERIM ASSISTANT DIRECTOR - Dave Shiplett, WL7ACY, (Robins AFB)

After elections in 1986, the first officially elected District officers took office for CVRA-SERA Georgia.

GEORGIA DIRECTORS

1986-1988 Jim Abercrombie, N4JA, (Augusta)
    1989-1992 Dave Shiplett, WL7ACY, (Perry)
    1993-1998 Stu Sims, N4MXC, (Cochran)
    1999-2000 Jim Fonte, W4JMF, (Ringgold)
    2000-2002 Richard Wright, W4LOC, (Chickamauga)
    2003-2004 Jeff Benjamin, W4KMB, (Flintstone)
    2004- Terry Jones, W4TL, (Flowery Branch)

GEORGIA VICE-DIRECTORS

1986-1987 John Robertson, N4BGL, (Lawrenceville)
    1987-1988 Dave Shiplett, WL7ACY, (Perry)
    1989-1990 Jim Abercrombie, N4JA, (Augusta)
    1991-1992 Jack Berry, W4PME, (Atlanta)
    1993-1996 Mike Flammia, N4PLM, (Winston)
    1997-1999 Bert Coker, N4BZJ, (Dalton)
    2000-2002 Jeff Benjamin, W4KMB, (Flintstone)
    2003-2004 Terry Jones, W4TL, (Flowery Branch)
    2004- Pete Seabolt, N4KHQ, (Dahlonega)

GEORGIA ASSISTANT DIRECTORS

1986-1987 Dave Shiplett, WL7ACY, (Robins AFB)
    1987-1994 Larry Smith, N4FD, (Albany)
    1987-1990 Jack Berry, W4PME, (Atlanta)
    1989-1992 Stu Sims, N4MXC, (Cochran)
    1991-1992 Jim Abercrombie, N4JA, (Augusta)
    1993-1996 Bert Coker, N4BZJ, (Dalton)
    1995- Scott Haner, KB0Y, (Valdosta)
    2001-2002 Terry Jones, W4TL, (Flowery Branch)
    2001-2002 Dave Shiplett, AC4MU, (Perry)
    2003-2004 Vester Scott, N8EKA, (Lawrenceville)
    2003 Richard Wright, W4LOC, (Chickamauga)
    2003-2004 Pete Seabolt, N4KHQ, (Dahlonega)
    2004- Phil Heaton, N4BBQ, (Dahlonega)

MISSISSIPPI DISTRICT
    Mississippi was the 8th State in SERA in 1990. In November of 1989, the state of Mississippi became a part of SERA. After elections in 1990, the first officially elected District officers took office for CVRA-SERA Mississippi.

MISSISSIPPI DIRECTORS

1990- Steve Grantham, N5DWU, (Ellisville)

MISSISSIPPI VICE-DIRECTORS

1990-1996 Jim Akers, W5VZF, (Starkville)
    1997-1999 Joe Wood, AJ0X, (Laurel)
    1999-2000 Monte Hatfield, N4KMH, (Pascagoula)

MISSISSIPPI ASSISTANT DIRECTORS

1998-2000 Keith Wells, N5ZNS, (Summit)
    1998-2000 Bill Cooper, WB5YCR, (New Albany)
    1998-2000 Mark Simmons, KD5EDV, (Madison)
    1998-2000 Scott King, AB5MU, (Nettleton)
    2003- Aubrey Bilbo, KE5LT, (Picayune)
    2003- Harold Bullard, K5WHB, (Corinth)

OFFICIAL APPOINTMENTS TO OFFICE

Appointees within our organization are assigned different jobs. They range from Assistant Directors, listed above with their State Directors and Vice-Directors, to Publications, Membership, Repeater Journal Correspondents, Frequency Coordinators, Membership Assistants and many others. Their terms, generally run concurrent with the person who appointed them.

FULL MEMBERSHIP CHAIRMAN
    (Appointed by the President)

1972-1974 Bill Parris, K4GHR, (Charlotte, NC)
    1975-1980 Bill Paige, WB4LWX, (Kingston, NC)
    1980-1981 Marie Presler, WA4YMM, (Fayetteville, NC)
    1981-1986 Gerry Williams, KB4SEL (Colfax, NC)
    1987- David Ward, W4WDW, (Tobaccoville, NC)

ASSOCIATE MEMBERSHIP CHAIRMAN

1972-1974 Bill Parris, K4GHR, (Charlotte, NC)
    1975-1979 Lindsay Cleveland, W4IZI, (Burlington, NC)
    1980-1984 Larry McLaurin, WB4VJE, (Greensboro, NC)
    1985-1987 David Ward, W4WDW, (Tobaccoville, NC)

Note: In 1975, Lindsay Cleveland began setting up a computer database for the organization on his employer's mainframe computer. After a couple of years he had compiled all membership and much of our repeater data.

In 1985, David Ward worked closely with Lindsay and transferred the CVRA database to David’s workplace mainframe computer. During the transfer, application programs were written using the Cobol language. Several months later, David moved the data and programs from the mainframe computer to his personal IBM PC running Microsoft Cobol.

ASSOCIATE MEMBERSHIP ASSISTANTS
    (Appointed by Membership Chairman)

1981-1985 Lindsay Cleveland, W4IZI, (Georgia)
    1981-1984 David Ward, KA4LVO, (Lewisville, NC)
    1981-1984 Gale Henley, KA4ACU, (Greensboro, NC)

FCC LIAISON COMMITTEE CHAIRMAN

1974-1978 Dan McMillin, W4DGE, (Greensboro, NC)
    1978-1979 Cecil Oliver, WA4VQC, (North Carolina)
    1979-1985 vacant
    1986-1987 F. L. Warford, K4AZA, (High Point, NC)
    1987-1999 Rose Bond, of FCC Atlanta Field Office
    2000- Frank Lynch, W4FAL, (Raleigh, NC)

TECHNICAL ADVISOR

1986-1987 F. L. Warford, K4AZA, (High Point, NC)
    1987- Danny Hampton, K4ITL, (Raleigh, NC)

PUBLICATIONS CHAIRMAN

1971-1972 Don Harris, W4BUZ, (Greensboro, NC)
    1972-1977 Bill Parris, K4GHR, (Charlotte, NC)
    1978-2001 Wayne Williams, K4MOB, (Colfax, NC)
    2002- Gary Pearce, KN4AQ, (Raleigh, NC)

FREQUENCY COORDINATION CHAIRMAN

1972-1976 Charlie Durst, WA4WTX, (Durham, NC)
    1977-1978 Herman Cone, III WB4DBB, (Greensboro, NC)
    1978-1979 Al Ross, K4CAW, (Greensboro, NC)
    2000-2002 Jerry Shouse, N4EQT, (Lawrenceburg, KY)
    2002-2003 Dick Fowler, N8FMD, (Clarksburg, WV)
    2004- Jim Cantrell, WJ4C, (Union, SC)

(Note: - From 1971 to 1979 the Frequency Coordination Chairman was the official who did all repeater coordination, or had final say-so on any coordination. In 1980, the elected Directors and Vice-Directors of each District were given the responsibility. The Chairman's title, now, is a person appointed to help in communications, if necessary, between Districts or neighboring states outside of SERA.)

INTERNET MANAGER

The SERA began its' Internet site in 1997. An e-mail server and FTP site was also set up for board members. From 1997 until 2000, Alex Hedrick kept watch over the FTP and remailer site, with two other persons serving as "webmasters". In 2000, Alex assumed management of all electronic sites and capabilities for the organization.

1997-1998 Jeff Martin, N5KOL, (Bowling Green, KY)
    1998-1999 Jonathan Ramezan, KB8FSD, (Glenville, WV)
    2000- Alex Hedrick, N8FWL, (Beckley, WV)

SPECIAL ASSISTANT TO THE PRESIDENT

1998-1999 Dave Shiplett, AC4MU, (Perry, GA) serving Don Williams, W4VT

The SouthEastern Repeater Association, Inc.

13. K4WDE

K4WDE Ham Member QRZ Page

Just because the FCC is the "heavy" doesn't mean SERA
    is off the hook. I agree that CTCSS wouldn't be a huge
    burden with most operators. I also think that SERA should make its' repeater listings available via the Internet. There's
    no excuse to keep them listed on PAPER. Jeez this is the
    21st century! By making the database available electronically,travelling hams can carry it in their pda's, and laptops and easily find the required tones for repeater local to them. But SERA claims making the list available electronically would instantly cause all operaters to cancel their subscriptions to the journal and SERA would fold. This is bogus. I would still subscribe just to read the news in the rag. So if SERA wants us all to move into the 21st century, let them make the same move and post the SERA repeater listings on their website. Maybe this should be voted on by the members. Hmmm, is this even allowed? I don't know.
    Is the database even copywrited?

14. AG4HY

AG4HY Ham Member QRZ Page

i don't suppose it really matters. as in my area there are (it sure seems to be)no problem with any of the conditions that brought this on.
    all you can hear on any of the two meter repeaters is: id, location, (on one or two) and the time, (on  one) and then it is almost certain, every body has "lock jaw" there is nothing, nada, zip, so i really don't see where it will make any difference at all, not on the repeaters around adrian ga area .
    [​IMG]

15. KE4MOB

KE4MOB Ham Member QRZ Page

From the SERA CP&Gs:

Policy 20(g): "The SERA Repeater Index may not be published or reproduced, in any form, by any individual, publication, electronic source, or any other means, for distribution without the expressed written consent of the SERA, Inc."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.