ad: Halibut-1

September 11th 2001 we will never forget

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by N1LSB, Sep 3, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W9MRH

W9MRH Ham Member QRZ Page

No frequencies for CW (Only a Tech here). I best be getting my General!

2. K6TKR

K6TKR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Irvine Valley College in Irvine, CA, has held a Commemoration of 9/11 beginning the year following to now. I am proud to offer this for our students and our community. K6TKR

3. K3ILC

K3ILC Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember that day. I worked at the National Water Quality Laboratory (part of the USGS) as a chemist on the Denver Federal Center. One of my buddies told me an airplane had crashed into the World Trade Center. I didn't think too much of it, until he told me a second plane had crashed into the second tower. Not long after that, we received notification that we had to evacuate the Federal Center within an hour. We were holding classes for other personnel who had traveled to Denver. We asked them if they wanted to adjourn, or continue holding the classes at their hotel. They wanted to continue, so our people grabbed all the equipment and moved it to the hotel. We received info that they wanted us to stay home the next day, but then they changed their minds and wanted every one to come in, but if you were afraid, you could take leave (everyone came in). The powers that be did not want the public to think we feared more terrorism.

My wife had a morning appointment with Urology at Evans Army Hospital on Ft. Carson to have a kidney stone removed. She got stuck in traffic all day because of the entrance procedures on post. She finally was able to get home at 5 PM -- she was in very poor shape -- had a high fever. I took her to a civilian emergency room, which was jam packed because it was so difficult to get on the local military facilities. It took the military about a week to get their problems sorted out.

Yes, God bless America!!!

4. KO2LA

KO2LA Ham Member QRZ Page

For those who think the US shouldn't have gotten involved in the Middle East I ask just one question: where do you want to fight them?
    We didn't start this but by God and The US Marine Corps we WILL finish it.
    Semper Fi!

5. K4FNG

K4FNG Ham Member QRZ Page

... lest we forget...

i am only a tech and will not be upgraded in time for this event. but i am a veteran (ex-paratrooper, if there is such a thing, once a paratrooper...always a paratrooper) and i will NEVER forget!

6. KY4SLR

KY4SLR Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm disabled and part of my trouble is sleeping due to muscle cramps. But I'm usually up early, and back then as soon as I got moving, I'd turn on Fox News.

That morning, for whatever reason, I slept late. My wife had been in the chair at her dentists office when they announced the first plane. As soon as she got finished she called me, and I turned on the TV just after the second plane hit.

I just sat there staring at the TV. My first thoughts were with the folks immediately involved.

My second thought was for my sons, one was in the Navy, the other was a Marine, then I began thinking of all their buddies families. I'm a Cold War veteran, my dad served in the AF during Korea, my dad's dad, was in the Army between the World Wars, my mother's dad served in the Army in France during WWI. So, the military is a right of passage and an honorable tradition to us. That doesn't remove that fear that your kid will pay the ultimate price. Thankfully, neither of them got a physical scratch.

I'm surprised at the number of people who either don't GET the ongoing danger we are in. I'm equally amazed at the number of people who think we should just ignore radicals / terrorists.

Then when I run across and quiz these maroons, no one in there family has ever served. Or grandpa did during WWIII, or Korea, or now, even some of us are Grandpa's from the Viet Nam Era. But they think it's somebody other than them who should watch their son, or daughter, stick their hand in the air to protect us. If we just don't anger 'them' or appease 'them', we'll be OK.

If I'm not mistaken, that's the kind of thinking that put is behind the 8 Ball before WWI, WWII, and before 9/11.

I'm glad these guys are holding that event, it needs doing and Ladt Lex looks like a great place to spend some time.

Steve
    KM4MEF

7. N1LSB

N1LSB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I understand that feeling I wanted to be able to reach the lex. The USS Lexington actually has echolink wish well be valuable on the bottom of the hour for technicians under normal competition environments this type of connection normally would not be accepted but for the special event and for those are really want to connect to the lex on this memorial we will make this possible for you guys the echolink connection is 907637 just follow normal potocol is design for one person at a time so if you cannot reach us try again like I said is it for technicians thank you
    Pete kf5upc

8. K8CPA

K8CPA Ham Member QRZ Page

and create more terrorists like we did in Iraq? :mad: