ad: Flexradio-1

September 11, 2002 - Patriot Day

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by Guest, Dec 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

Too bad some hams have your outlook on situations like this. Volunteering is all about helping other people. It's not about "what can I get out of it?" That's where sooo many people mess up. They let their egos run away...forgetting that it just feels good to HELP---nooooo they have to get something for them out of the situation or it's not worth their time. I've heard that comment more than once from people who were asked to help out with even so much as a bike ride or walkathon. "Do I get a t-shirt? Do I get a hat??" Forget what YOU can get--just do your best to help the poor people who's whole world just came crashing down around there. Be satisfied with the good feeling inside of knowing you used your hobby and talents to help.
    Melissa

2. KC5SDY

KC5SDY Ham Member QRZ Page

Count me in. Anything that will honor those who gave their lives on September 11th, as far as I am concerned, is a good thing.
    John Cheek
    KC5SDY
    john@kc5sdy.com

3. K4INK

K4INK Ham Member QRZ Page

You should be ashamed to complain! You chose to volunteer your time and resources.No one forced you to do it.Your fellow United States Citizens were in need.Your gradification should come knowing that your help continued the flow of communication, to help a broken city.Unfortunatly people like you give hams a black eye.I hope no non ham people read your post.People like you go into situations with illusions of gradure,in hopes to make your efforts known so that you may have your 15 minutes of fame.There is a name for this (Darva Conger Syndome).There are many hams that gave thier all to this country when it needed it most.To them I commend and I am grateful.
    Remember this, For every one negative thing that arises against ham radio,You need ten goods to make the one forgotten.

WM5L likes this.
  4. Guest

Guest Guest

To: KC2AYG
    Quit you're bitchin and whining! Why didn't you just quit and go home to Texas if it was so bad? You don't even live in NYC. Were you just one of those people looking for a crisis so you can "squlech it" to make you're self look like a hero? At least you are alive unlike the poor souls that never saw it coming...Jim/WM5L

5. N5QXP

N5QXP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Brett: Sept. 11 will always be a day of rememberance to every American. What I'm talking about is an opportunity for amateurs to hone their operating skills and pay homage to the victims and rescuers. I'm not advocating that we close businesses, schools, etc.

Rather, it should be an opportunity for hams to get together, whenever and wherever possible and promote amateur radio. We don't need an official decree from the gov't to participate. It's all voluntary. You just do what you can, that's all.

If you can set up in a school and get kids involved, great. If you operate from home or the backyard that's great too.

Just operate and join in with fellow amateurs to honor the victims. Explain to visitors that this is what we amateurs do. We come together in good times and bad, and help our communities. We honor those heroes that can't be with us, but live on in our memories.

We do this for them.

Thanks!

6. K0RU

K0RU Ham Member QRZ Page

Someone told me along time ago this statement, and to this day it holds true in Relationships and Country.

Definition of Love

The total commitment of oneself, without any expectation of anything in return.

Your efforts and involvements were appreciated beyond any measure, you just don't realize it.

73 - W8YRB

Rob

7. N5QXP

To all that have responded so positively to the Patriot Day Event for 2002, let me say "Thank you!"

Eddie Wallace - KG4EFR, the Emergency Coordinator for ARES of Santa Rosa County, Florida, has very graciously donated his time and "webmaster" skills to begin construction of the Patriot's Day website.

The link is: http://www.tbcar.com/911/

A mission statement and contest rules will be forthcoming and posted on the webpage, ASAP.

If anyone has royalty free jpeg photos or images that we could use on the webpage, please e-mail them to me: N5QXP @ ARRL.Net

Eddie & I need free, public domain,images that vividly portray America's unity and strength of determination.

We are unable to use the image of the 3 firefighters raising the flag @ Ground Zero. The Bergen County Record owns rights to the photo and will not allow it to be displayed on any webpage.

FYI - Any free photo that we use will not be distributed or used for any commercial purpose, whatsoever. It will only be used in the context of the webpage.

We are not accepting monetary contributions, although we would accept any free advice, technical assistance or ideas that our fellow amateurs can willingly provide.

So far, things are starting to gain some momentum, which is really very encouraging. All of you that have webpages or are members of a radio club, please help by directing people to the previously mentioned link.

When you get on the air, please mention it to other operators and ask them to get inolved. Next time you order a piece of eqpt. from one of the suppliers, ask them to spread the word.

Thank you!

N5QXP

8. W8ZNX

W8ZNX Ham Member QRZ Page

no in the end it will become another contest.
    Payed day off, moved to friday or monday for fed.
    and state employes.

mac w8znx

9. KB9REE

KB9REE Ham Member QRZ Page

I like the idea of commemorating September 11th and remembering the victims of this act of war against America. But be sure of this, we should not be as rude as working a pile up or contest. We should go slow and with great reverence fill up our airwaves. If we can have special event stations on Memorial Day and have testing on Veteran's Day there is certainly nothing wrong with being on the air to commemorate those who lost their lives on September 11th. After all I think we had at least 6 silent keys because of the attack in New York and maybe more which we do not know of.

10. N5QXP

Mac: You're probably right. Hopefully, 20 years from now it won't be commercialized like Memorial Day. Most people couldn't tell what Memorial Day is really about...they think it's about having a day off and cooking barbecue.

11. N7QH

N7QH Guest

I think it is a great idea. One thing I would do is to have the day as more of a fellowship day, not as a contest. We would be doing this to commerate the innocent lives lost, not to make this a race to make contacts.
    One last thought, maybe word will get to Bin Laden. He might even hear some of the stronger stations. He won't be laughing (on tape) then.
    The Japanese "awoke a sleeping giant" when they attacked Pearl Harbor and look what we did to them, but Bin Laden just plain old ticked us off when he attacked the WTC buildings.
    A Happy (and safe) New Year to all and especially to our troops!
    LET'S ALL SHOW OUR SOLIDARITY!
    Rich (N7QH)

12. AE4FB

AE4FB QRZ Member QRZ Page

Yes! Let’s have more propaganda circle jerks while the tattered remnants of the Declaration of Independence and the Bill of Rights are trampled deeper into the toxic ooze of Multi-National Corporate Rule.

There has been a Coup D’Etat in the United States of America. 911 was no accident, and most of you in your gut bucket ignorance, with your heads firmly ensconced in the Media Pundit’s rectal orifices, will never admit it ever when the blade of the axe severs your own neighbor’s neck. Instead, you will become “Good Germans” and upper crust serfs, pushing down weaker Americans to maintain your “Status Quo” and your status Ho.

Starting in 1776 my ancestors overthrew King George and the concepts of royalty, privilege, and the nepotism of “Nobility” in this country. How easily have you, who are obviously born serfs, surrendered all to your new King George. King George in the form of a Court Appointed Trained Monkey who wears all the trappings of the Anti-Christ.

You are truly a disgusting herd Sheep. On your knees Serfs! A free man commands you.

Ever So Sincerely,
    Michael D. Adams de AE4FB

13. VE3SRE

VE3SRE Ham Member QRZ Page

I do very much like the idea of a ham radio operating event to commemorate the many victims of 911.

Yes indeed the impact on the United States was horrendous. But I think its good to remember as well that amongst the victims of the criminal terrorist acts were citizens of dozens of countries around the globe. They were Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists,Sikhs, and of many other faiths or had no faith at all.

The events touched the lives of everyone around the world.

So if I can add my two cents (or pence, centimes,centavos,pfennig, kopecks etc.) worth
    I would like to see perhaps a more "international" commemoration much in the spirit that amateur radio crosses international boundaries and promotes peace, understanding and goodwill amongst people.

So why not an international peace and fellowship day. Perhaps the event "exchange" could be something like "peace be with you"...but...you have to alternate saying this phrase in a different language depending on the country you are contacting.

If you are contacting a Russian you would say this phrase in Russian and your Russian contact would say it in English (if you speak English)...then if say a Japanese ham is contacting a French ham...then the Japanese ham would say it in French and the French ham would say it in Japanese.

Perhaps a web page could be posted with how to say this phrase in all of these different languages. And of course the ham we're contacting can help us along too!

And...yes indeed we'll all have to struggle with learning how to say this phrase in all of these different languages...but in the course of us stumbling through it...we'll have alot of fun, promote international friendship and show how ham radio transcends boundaries of politics, religion, language etc.

The terrorist criminals would like to divide the world...we hams would like to unite it...with radio!!

73 de VE3SRE

14. Guest

Guest Guest

You can count on a special event station with my call for it on that day. I felt much closer to NYC and DC that morning. It seemed like only a few blocks to my home in Norfolk, VA were I was stationed on the USS ROSS DDG-71. We were deploying to the Med soon, and we were enjoying a leave standdown period with at least a 3rd of the crew gone, some out of state. Many ships were sortied almost immediatly. ROSS was one of the first just a few short hours after the attack, (if not the first,and with 90% of its hands on deck) to be underway protecting the coast from any other possable attacks from NYC all the way to GA. We did not even get to tell our families we would not be home that night, or the next 3 weeks!!! Now we are deployed with the Theodore Roosevelt Battlegroup. So See Ya when we get back, and I will fire that rig up for 9-11-02 no doubt.

Thomas
    W4MDL Military Maritime Mobile
    USS ROSS DDG-71
    TR Battlegroup

15. K5MAR

K5MAR Ham Member QRZ Page

I think this is a great idea, and I'm sending the links to all the hams I know.

However, we are already seeing the standard bickering and snide remarks from various hams. Can't we keep the political comments and other s*** under control for once? I don't think the cynicism and various personal agendas reflect very well on ham radio as a whole. If you don't like something somebody else posted, send an email to them (as I have done) rather than responding here.

Yeah, I know, I'm living in a dream world.

Mark
    K5MAR

Note to moderators: Could certain posts be removed, you can figure out the ones I'm talking about, I'm sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.